Moparts

OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ??

Posted By: Kern Dog

OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/18/18 06:44 AM

The December issue of the Mopar Muscle magazine featured red '68 Charger...nice car. They had a caption where they claimed it came with a "rare" set of options including electric latch assemblies for both the trunk AND hood.
Has anyone ever seen one of these?
I added an electric latch to mine but it was from a late 80s Diplomat or 5th Avenue car. I had no idea they were available so long ago.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/18/18 08:49 AM

I have both electric and vacuum trunk latches from C-bodies.
Never seen an electric hood latch, especially on anything 60's
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/18/18 03:10 PM

I'd never say never when it comes to Mopars...

I once found an electric trunk release solenoid mounted in a '66 or '67 Charger, I don't recall where the switch was mounted, but the setup looked factory - wiring, plugs, etc... I'd like to think it was factory, but there was little actual proof with the car itself..

The car was (highly?) optioned w power windows, AC, big block, power brakes.. I remember cuz I like 1st Gen Chargers, and this one was a nice combo of silver with red gut, magnum rims, it sat there and still had its Wide Oval tires on it..

I asked the salvage yard owner about the remote trunk release, he didn't know.

I guess that's inconclusive.
- Art
Posted By: moparx

Re: OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/18/18 03:12 PM

i can't answer as to the trunk latch being an option, but my 69 imperial had a vacuum release for the trunk latch. i thought that odd, because it had those sequential turn signals, [the wiring for those was a mess] plus, the rube-goldburg box that actuated them. one would think if that electrical nightmare was present, an electric trunk release would have been a piece of cake.
as to the hood release, i have never seen, nor heard of one, factory installed [or dealer installed for that matter] in anything up to at least the '90's.
just my experiance, your mileage may vary.
beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/18/18 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that '74 was the first year of the electric trunk latch, previous years were vacuum.
Posted By: LTLBEE

Re: OEM original electric trunk latch......'68 Charger ?? - 09/19/18 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
I'm pretty sure that '74 was the first year of the electric trunk latch, previous years were vacuum.

My old 1972 Imperial had a factory installed electric trunk latch.
© 2024 Moparts Forums