Moparts

Head Gasket leaking oil?

Posted By: sixpacksteve

Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/15/18 11:03 PM

my 78 dodge van slant 6 is leaking oil in rear of pass side head.
my friend said Bars leak might help. any truth to this or any other fix besides changing head gasket?
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/15/18 11:49 PM

Heck not driving it would fix it too, in a van its all right there in front of you, id spend a afternoon and replace the head gasket if you determine thats the real problem.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/16/18 04:34 AM

for sure pin it down & a HG would necessitate a R&R.
Posted By: dragracedr

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/17/18 12:36 AM

Head gasket, valve cover gasket, several options. Spend some time and find the origin of the leak, By the way your friend's and idiot.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/17/18 12:56 AM

It may not be the headgasket Steve. More likely it is the rocker cover gasket. Clean the area up and check it closely. Pretty easy job in a van.

As for your friend. I wouldn't call him an idiot like ^ but no chemical additive will out perform new seal or gasket.

I'd save Bar's leak for I'm stuck in the desert with x amount of water and I have a radiator leak and don't want to die out here.
Posted By: 1E2C

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/17/18 04:43 PM

Yeah, Barr's Leak is for the cooling, (water), system and not for the lubricating, (oil) side of things, or at least I've never seen a Barr's leak product for oil.
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/18/18 02:09 AM

i will clean it, and check before changing head gasket. and hoping you guys are right!
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Head Gasket leaking oil? - 09/18/18 02:43 AM

Yep, get it SUPER DUPER clean using engine degreaser and your local car wash you spray yourself. Once, it's clean, drive it for a day and the oil leak will be obvious. I'm betting a valve cover gasket...but check.
© 2024 Moparts Forums