Moparts

Torque Spec for Bango Bolts

Posted By: ngpSatellite

Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 03:29 AM

Doing a disc brake conversion... wondering if any know the torque spec for the bango bolts??
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 03:41 AM

Banjo bolts come in many different sizes, for many different applications, so the torque spec. varies with the bolt size. Generally, just tight enough so it doesn't leak is the rule of thumb. How irregular the sealing surface on the caliper is also a factor. The rougher the surface, the tighter it will need to be to seal.

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info!!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 02:22 PM

Everything has a torque spec, it's in the FSM.

Since you neglect to specify the application I looked up a 73 A body,

25 ft/lbs with a new gasket.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

you know that isn't correct ! tsk it needs tightened up until it strips, or breaks, then back it off 1/2 turn. ..... biggrin
beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 05:00 PM

The weekend is here!

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

you know that isn't correct ! tsk it needs tightened up until it strips, or breaks, then back it off 1/2 turn. ..... biggrin
beer

boogie
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 05:53 PM

moparx's advice isn't that far off, I have never had much luck using the factory torque spec. With brand new hoses, new gaskets and new Banjo bolts I usually have leaks when using the factory recommended torque; even tightening them to the point of snapping off still doesn't work. I've finally resorted to using rubber gasket/washers.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 05:55 PM

Where do you find a rubber gasket that works?

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 06:05 PM

If you use copper washers that are too thin then you get that problem.

Seems the washers provided with new hoses are too think.

Go get some thicker copper sealing washers.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 06:21 PM

I found that a lot of the copper washers that come with reman calipers aren`t worth a crap. They are thinner and seem harder. I use the mopar ones and they have worked fine for me. Sometimes you have to tighten them and loosen and tighten again to help them seat.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
I found that a lot of the copper washers that come with reman calipers aren`t worth a crap. They are thinner and seem harder. I use the mopar ones and they have worked fine for me. Sometimes you have to tighten them and loosen and tighten again to help them seat.
iagreewith this
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 07:56 PM

Please don't use rubber washers on your brake system, or recommend this to others. Use metal sealing washers.

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 08:31 PM

I din't say "rubber washers", I said rubber gasket/washers like those pictured below, often called Stat-O-Seals. I tested the rubber's endurance by soaking a couple of them in DOT 3 for six months.

Attached picture Stat-O-Seal.jpg

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 09:13 PM

haha... their 3/8 inch bango's,,,,, I'm gonna look for these gasket washers... who has them?

update found them.....

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 09:27 PM

And the OEM's tested copper sealing washers for decades, still using them today.

Wonder why they still use them?
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/15/18 10:13 PM

Yes resistant to swelling and deterioration from oil, fuel, coolant, fire, etc, etc.

Please be wary of ANY product recommendations you see on these forums, folks. There is a reason auto manufactures don't use rubber to seal brake line fittings.

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/16/18 08:40 PM

And the OEM's tested copper sealing washers for decades, still using them today.

Wonder why they still use them?

While you're at it, wonder why the internet forums are full of queries about leaking copper gaskets. Must be that "everybody" is not as savvy as you (me included).

And, if you want to argue "why didn't the factory........?" you might as well cancel your links to all internet forums. There are lots of examples of improvements on the factory.

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/17/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Yes resistant to swelling and deterioration from oil, fuel, coolant, fire, etc, etc.

Please be wary of ANY product recommendations you see on these forums, folks. There is a reason auto manufactures don't use rubber to seal brake line fittings.

Oh, and what's the reason?
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/17/18 06:44 AM

The Harley's I work on use rubber/metal sealing washers unless it is an ABS brake model,then they are solid washers.

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/17/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By NANKET

Oh, and what's the reason?

Because they have qualified engineers and not some internet clown making the decisions. BTW, they still use copper washers for this application, because they work and they do not deteriorate.

Go look up the 2018 Hellcat application. Copper sealing washers.

If you can't get them to seal quit buying cheap assed parts. Get factory washers if you can't find anything else because if they had the failure rate you have with them they would have quit using them decades ago. The problem isn't the design, it's you.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/17/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By RTSrunner
The Harley's I work on use rubber/metal sealing washers unless it is an ABS brake model,then they are solid washers.

i thought harley's were supposed to leak ? something about "marking their territory" ? biggrin [and it's monday now]
beer

Re: Torque Spec for Bango Bolts - 09/17/18 07:29 PM

Because they have qualified engineers and not some internet clown making the decisions.

Gosh, Cuda, you seem to be upset. Was it something I said? grin

You might have followed the link posted above and you'd find lots of rubber seals for brake system fittings (including the Stat-O-Seals I alluded to) and engineers specify their use. Just because an OEM uses a particular part doesn't mean everything else is gonna fail and cause you to crash and burn. Lighten up dude. rolleyes

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=PLUMSEAL

BTW, Stat-O-Seals are routinely used in aircraft hydraulic systems that exceed 3000 psi.
© 2024 Moparts Forums