Moparts

Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 03:48 AM

So, about 4 years ago I bought a 3 core Champion 26" replacement radiator for my '70 Superbee. It took a tiny bit of massaging to the brackets, but it mounted to the core support just fine. Now that the car is finished, my 440 is running hot, so I ordered a factory fan shroud thinking that since the radiator fit the firewall, the shroud would bolt right up. Indeed it did. One issue. The L brackets that you screw it into pull the shroud back about 3/4" from the face of the radiator. It's fine on the sides, but it leaves a gap at the top and bottom. Not too sure what brain surgeon figured out this would be okay. So the 1970 shroud has an odd design. On the top hump where it is supposed to touch the rear face of the radiator there are these gaps all along the curved area (see photo). Not sure what they are for. Venting? The definitely don't line up with the grooves in the old core. So I have this gap at the top and bottom that looks ridiculous. What did you do to adapt yours to the stock shroud? Now that I have 100 bones tied up in this beautiful Classic Industries OEM shroud, I ain't going to order tin. If you sell these radiators or have fixed your problem WITH THE STOCK SHROUD, or if you think you are awesome and have a good idea BESIDES ORDERING TIN, please step up to the plate and tell me what you would do.

The first picture is of an OEM setup and the second picture is my debacle.

Lindy

Attached picture Other Shroud.jpeg
Attached picture my shroud.jpeg
Attached picture F7F358C5-12FC-416C-8503-8FAD133CB584.jpeg
Attached picture 49F9E593-6CBC-4806-B5B7-93D9DC99ADC5.jpeg
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 04:49 AM

Get an OEM set up
Posted By: rhad

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 04:58 AM

have the side brackets modified so they set closer to the core
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 06:42 AM

Have the same setup and problem. I got some 1 inch thick black foam from Lowes and put it in the gap. Works and looks ok. Comes in a roll and has adhesive on one side.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 06:55 AM

Originally Posted By Azzkikrcuda
Have the same setup and problem. I got some 1 inch thick black foam from Lowes and put it in the gap. Works and looks ok. Comes in a roll and has adhesive on one side.

Got any photos? I'm all about the Lowes fix! I actually purchased some aluminum plate to fill the gap with but shaping it will be time consuming. I'd like to see what you've done.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 10:01 AM

Buy a Griffin.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 10:28 AM

How come I can't see the photos? Are my settings okay?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 11:52 AM

I can't see them either
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 12:17 PM

I can see the pics. shruggy
Wow Champion must have fixed that problem. I've used a few of the radiators as of late including a 70 B 26" and they didn't have that gap.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 02:19 PM

I think an OEM would be your best bet, plus it would look better in your (really nice!) car. A correct replacment would be $1,200.00 from Glen-Ray, a less expensive alternative but close would be a random numbered vintage OEM with a new recore job which you could probably get for half as much.
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 04:19 PM

Its amazing how people love to spend other people's money..... which is fine if you are independently rich. grin

Go for the Lowes fix. It will work but not look as good as some of the other suggestions. I have a Champion in my '64 Polara. It's a 22" and since I'm cheap I spent about $12 and built my own custom fit shroud. A little left over 18 gauge sheet metal, some rivets, and the whole thing is encapsulated in two layers of fiberglass and resin. Looks better than the OEM in my opinion and works.

Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 04:22 PM

Quote:
Its amazing how people love to spend other people's money..... which is fine if you are independently rich. grin
I Agree.

I would cut off the aluminum brackets and make some like in the above post or cut them off and have them welded closer to the radiator.
Posted By: topside

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 05:41 PM

Well, you've either gotta move the radiator mounting flange closer, step the shroud flange, or fab/buy some kind of gap filler to use your existing parts. Foam or a rubber seal secured to the shroud is another alternative. The problem with a filler is that the shroud is pretty thin at top & bottom for a filler mounting surface. Whatever you use also needs to be OK against radiator heat.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 06:18 PM

Quote:

Hey, I'm not spending anyone's money, only offering ideas & suggestions (see title of thread).

*Champion's have thier place, I just bought one for my test engine. I've seen Lindy's car, it's nice and mostly original looking and IMO (I am allowed to offer MY opinion right?) he should go with a stock one.

Attached picture 354 Run Stand.jpg

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Quote:

Hey, I'm not spending anyone's money, only offering ideas & suggestions (see title of thread).

I wasn't picking on you. There have been others who suggested replacing his radiator too. Just saying that its easy for someone... anyone to suggest spending tons of money to fix a simple problem.

By the way... nice looking early hemi.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/08/18 07:32 PM

The problem is the radiator. Not the shroud.

It's running hot.

Wonder why?

It's a "Champion".

'Nuff said.
Posted By: shinysidup

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/09/18 01:41 AM

Same problem here...
Trim the sides of the shroud so it fits inside the radiator brackets.
L tabs bolted to the existing threaded shroud mounting holes will hold it there.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/09/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda

It's running hot.

Wonder why?

It's a "Champion".

'Nuff said.

Doubt its the radiator alone. I run a Champion 3 core in my 512 never gets over 185. I run the same shroud w/a derale mech race fan. Didn't worry about the gap.

I've driven it on the street and hot lapped it at the track in low to mid 90 degree days
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/09/18 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By cudatom
Originally Posted By Supercuda

It's running hot.

Wonder why?

It's a "Champion".

'Nuff said.

Doubt its the radiator alone. I run a Champion 3 core in my 512 never gets over 185. I run the same shroud w/a derale mech race fan. Didn't worry about the gap.

I've driven it on the street and hot lapped it at the track in low to mid 90 degree days

Same here. Haven't had any cooling issues with a few Champions.
I agree that his is probably another issue.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/10/18 03:57 AM

Hey guys, thank you for all the great suggestions here. I think I’m going to just try to The top and bottom with a piece of sheet aluminum or the foam like was suggested for now. I’ve worked hard enough on the engine compartment that I don’t want it to look goofy. Scott, I really do want to get an OEM radiator but it’s going to have to be on the back burner for a couple years. It’s kind of crummy. I had a 26 inch radiator out of a 70 fury but I missed placed it while moving. It was in perfect shape too!

Champion radiators actually get pretty good reviews for Performance. They just look like heck. The welds are good but they treat the fins like crap on their assembly line. It is running hot but I think the reason it is, is because of the pump. I bought an aluminum water pump off eBay and I think it’s probably either spinning backwards or it’s just a piece of crap! But I thought if I could get them shroud on there maybe it would correct the problem enough to where I can enjoy the car instead of letting it sit. beer
Posted By: kingdragon

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/10/18 05:50 AM

A Chinese replacement part that doesn't even come close to fitting?
Shocking!
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/10/18 07:12 PM

I ran into a similar issue with my Champion using an OEM-style plastic reproduction shroud. I trimmed the shroud up pretty good and made some mounting tabs out of sheet metal & some pop rivets. It took quite a bit of "fabricating" to get everything to line up right. The hardware store window sealing foam tape is a really good idea.
Posted By: bill440rt

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/12/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By Centerline

I’m not spending his money either. Nor am I independently rich.
I see it all the time. Guy buys a Champion, then complains about fit, quality, and what has to be modified to make it all work.
Griffins drop in like stock, fit, and accept a stock shroud. They also mimick a stock appearance so if painted black it’ll look factory to the casual observer. Spend a little more up front to avoid disappointment later.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By bill440rt
I’m not spending his money either. Nor am I independently rich. I see it all the time. Guy buys a Champion, then complains about fit, quality, and what has to be modified to make it all work. Griffins drop in like stock, fit, and accept a stock shroud. They also mimick a stock appearance so if painted black it’ll look factory to the casual observer. Spend a little more up front to avoid disappointment later.

There is nothing wrong with Champion radiators. They cool just fine. However, they are an aftermarket item not OEM nor do they claim to be. So some slight modification may be needed for them to fit perfectly. Mine needed one hole elongated slightly which took all of two minutes with a file to fix.

The point is that most inexpensive aftermarket radiators are going to require some level of work for everything to fit the way it should. For what a Griffin or Walker replacement costs you can buy two Champion radiators and you can buy about 6 Champions for the price of a Glen Ray replacement. They're all excellent quality, drop in and OEM shrouds fit perfectly. However, for me and a lot of other people who don't have unlimited budgets, it very often makes sense to spend a little extra work to save a considerable amount of money in the end.

Champions cool fine if set up properly but anyone who purchases aftermarket parts needs to understand that some level of modification may be required. Many parts of this type are mass produced and designed to be "generic" so naturally they will require some fitting. Anyone who buys one is a little naive if they think its just going to drop in.... and that's true of a lot of aftermarket parts.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 04:49 PM

Lindy, by chance will the OEM shroud fit (slide down into/ EDIT: or up into) to the inside of the brackets, as opposed to the outside??? It looks a little thick, but I ain't there to measure...
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 05:12 PM

FYI, i have a Champion radiator on my car and it has the shroud mounts like in the first post. Well that radiator is leaking just a bit (was on the car when i got it, core is 3 row looks like brass but sure that is right..).
anyway, i bought a 2 row (Alum core) 26" Champion about 8 years ago thinking i would need it for my truck, never used it. I just checked it to see if it is the same as what is in my car and the mounts for the shroud are flush with the core, so they must've changed their design years back...

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 05:34 PM

Just looking at the pictures that shroud is way too far back and covering most of the fan, not a good way to cool and engine for sure. The shroud needs to be as flush to the radiator as possible, the fan needs to be 3/4" from the radiator, and sticking out of the shroud for maximum effect. twocents
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 06:05 PM

Too many cases of Champion radiators being bent, or leaking or fitment issues for me to say "There is nothing wrong with Champion radiators" and hiding behind "it's aftermarket, of course it will need fitment" is BS. Especially when it's not a universal fit but rather "3 core Champion 26" replacement radiator". Replacement implies it fits like stock, not fits like universal but you pay the replacement upcharge for it.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 07:42 PM

I have no love affair with Champion, but Griffins are 3 times the price. Not a little more. Glen Ray is 4 times as much. I don’t hear Champion owners complaining about the performance. Not even me. FINISH quality is not great, but BUILD quality is fine and when you build a car on a 33% budget you make your choices. I spent my money on other parts.

On a positive note, here’s what I’ve done with a piece of 1”x 1/16” aluminum bar stock. I’ll add a high-density foam rubber garage door seal lip underneath to seal the gap and rivet it on to some hand shaped L brackets. So goes hotrodding.

...and not bad for a guy with no access to a metal shop. 😊

Without

With

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By Fat_Mike
Lindy, by chance will the OEM shroud fit (slide down into/ EDIT: or up into) to the inside of the brackets, as opposed to the outside??? It looks a little thick, but I ain't there to measure...

Mike, I thought long and hard about doing that. I’d have to cut the mating surface of the shroud completely off where the bolts go because they are offset. Also, the radiator has brass nut inserts that I’d have to extract. One of those cases where I wish I’d known I was going with the part (shroud) ahead of time so that I could have fabbed it on the bench. Thank you for the suggestion.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/13/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
Just looking at the pictures that shroud is way too far back and covering most of the fan, not a good way to cool and engine for sure. The shroud needs to be as flush to the radiator as possible, the fan needs to be 3/4" from the radiator, and sticking out of the shroud for maximum effect. twocents

Excellent point. The fan is in there but it’s not bolted in. The blades protrude about 1/2” maybe a little less than half way out of the shroud when it’s sitting against its mounting surface. Not sure if that’s enough. Also, it is a 5 blade fan with clutch. Do you think that’s enough blade? Would it do better to remove the clutch to get the fan further back?
Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/14/18 07:55 AM

Picture of mine, 70 Charger with a 408 small block. I took the top half of the shroud off, to replace the fan belts. And left it off. Never overheats, and Florida gets hot....

The fan is quite close to the radiator.

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/15/18 06:09 AM

I think I'm going to change my screen name to "Cricket"...
...because that's all I hear after I post.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/15/18 04:58 PM

Quote:
On a positive note, here’s what I’ve done with a piece of 1”x 1/16” aluminum bar stock. I’ll add a high-density foam rubber garage door seal lip underneath to seal the gap and rivet it on to some hand shaped L brackets. So goes hotrodding.

Looks good! that's one of my weakest areas is metal fab
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/17/18 04:46 AM

Quote:
Looks good! that's one of my weakest areas is metal fab
and the other is a new fangle cell phone? LOL
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/17/18 05:05 AM

Yes! I have yet to figure out how to dial a # on it but I am streaming music into my mini shop so I am happy.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/18/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By Big Bad Bee
I have no love affair with Champion, but Griffins are 3 times the price. Not a little more. Glen Ray is 4 times as much. I don’t hear Champion owners complaining about the performance. Not even me. FINISH quality is not great, but BUILD quality is fine and when you build a car on a 33% budget you make your choices. I spent my money on other parts.

Without

With

BB Bee

Your over your private topic limit and I tried to send you a PM. Where did you find the aluminum bar stock? I would like to duplicate what you've done.

Thanks
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Champion Radiator and Stock Fan Shroud Issues. Ideas Please - 09/18/18 06:04 PM

Ace Hardware sells sticks of aluminum like that in a number of different widths and thicknesses.
© 2024 Moparts Forums