Moparts

AMD bumpers

Posted By: 6PAX

AMD bumpers - 08/20/18 08:33 PM

I just got back from getting a quote to rechrome the front bumper for my 70 Dart. Was told $800 and that didn't include some minor straightening. In my opinion that is totally ridiculous, especially considering there isn't much to a 70 Dart front bumper. So I think I am going to go the AMD route and would like to know, who has the best prices on AMD bumpers?
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 01:27 AM

Front Bumper - 70-71 Dart; 71 Demon
Part# 100-2070
$285. plus shipping
Posted By: maximus

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 01:55 AM

If you want to have yours plated call Tri-City Plating in Tennessee. Had mine done for about $375. That included all straightening. Lifetime warranty. Great work, good guys, all they do is bumpers. Can exchange or get yours back. Google them for phone number.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 02:18 AM

I've been on the fence with these also. I know the amd aren't perfect but they are probably good enough for me.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 03:41 AM

Quote:
I know the amd aren't perfect but they are probably good enough for me.

That depends on your expectations. AMD are "reproduction" bumpers. This basically means they're made to the same standards as originals - which they pretty much are. Keep in mind that original bumper production was in the hundreds of thousands. They all had minor flaws and they certainly weren't "show chrome". Sure, you could see your reflection but it wasn't like looking in a mirror. If you want "show chrome" you're not going to find it in a reproduction bumper. For that you need to pay about $800 apiece !!
Posted By: Dixie

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 02:49 PM

I agree with using Tri-city. I had some bumpers done for my car there and am pretty happy with them.

For my son's Demon we bought some AMD bumpers. They're nice for what they are and for a driver type car, they're fine.

Randy
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 04:18 PM

Don't expect nice bumpers from AMD!
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 07:04 PM

I don't know about their chrome bumpers but I used some of their Cuda rubber bumpers and they were much nicer then the ones that Gene Gregory made which I used several of over the years.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 07:45 PM

I put AMD bumpers on my car in 2012. Still look great. Probably not for the concourse cars, but great for DDs.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/21/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
I know the amd aren't perfect but they are probably good enough for me.

That depends on your expectations. AMD are "reproduction" bumpers. This basically means they're made to the same standards as originals - which they pretty much are. Keep in mind that original bumper production was in the hundreds of thousands. They all had minor flaws and they certainly weren't "show chrome". Sure, you could see your reflection but it wasn't like looking in a mirror. If you want "show chrome" you're not going to find it in a reproduction bumper. For that you need to pay about $800 apiece !!

Agreed, I've had good luck with the fit/finish of the AMD bumpers that I've used over the years, they are on par with an OEM fit/finish... but just like "restoration" paint jobs, chrome on "restored" cars has taken on an OCD fit/finish over the years as well that we have grown accustomed to, most have never seen or can't recall how the original fit/finish of these cars were when new...
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/22/18 09:10 PM

Have AMD front and rear bumpers on my 69 Dart. They pop. Ultra happy with them. And the car is very nice, lousy bumpers would stick out like a sore thumb
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/23/18 12:23 AM

I have them on my 70' Challenger also. The fit and finish look great.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/23/18 03:30 AM

I have a set in my 71 Duster and they fit and look great to me
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/23/18 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By moparmarks
I don't know about their chrome bumpers but I used some of their Cuda rubber bumpers and they were much nicer then the ones that Gene Gregory made which I used several of over the years.

Doesn't even show they have an elastomeric for a 70 Cuda???
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: AMD bumpers - 08/23/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted By moparmarks

Doesn't even show they have an elastomeric for a 70 Cuda???

They offered a short run, then discontinued them...
© 2024 Moparts Forums