Moparts

Paint better than when new or similar to when new?

Posted By: modelmakerinc

Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 09:33 PM

First im gonna preface this by saying that my intention is kinda a Day Two build, as if someone purchased this car in the late seventies and did the period type of mods you would normally see done into the eighties.

So I chose to spray the car in single stage paint and leave some of the orange peel in the finish, I did do a light wetsanding removed the flaws/mistakes but left it with "some meat" in the paint to have the choice later to cut and polish it again down the road.

I built it to be a driver and intend to drive it quite a bit, but I have had quite a few people say I should have wetsanded further and make the finish better.

I am having some thoughts that maybe they are right. any thoughts?

Attached picture 20180817_121305.jpg
Attached picture 20180817_144254.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 09:44 PM

Depends on how raw you left the paint. A picture or two would be a great help.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 09:47 PM

Any of those people gonna help you wet sand?
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 10:44 PM

Looks good! Nothing wrong with a good single stage paint job.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 10:48 PM

Leave it. Looks great and I like the look of a 70's style repaint on the car. Great build BTW.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 10:55 PM

If you can see orange peel in the sun then I'd sand it more... but if just inside in fluorescent lighting, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 11:40 PM

Looks good from those pics.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 11:40 PM

Little bit of orange peel is how all my factory mopars have had. Nothing wrong with that. I have a friend that restores all makes and paints base/clear so good, he can roll it right out the building, but he cannot bring himself to do that. They all have to be smooth as you know what. Sanding and buffing are the norm.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/17/18 11:45 PM

Looking at the pics of the base car you started with and the condition id consider just doing as you stated, a driver and drive it and have fun.

I dont think your gonna have a car thats gonna last 20 years as the deterioration of the unreplaced metal is going to continue.

With your considerable skills and if you had started off with a much more rust free base car I could see going further, but id just drive and enjoy it if it were mine.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/18/18 08:44 PM

A little orange peel is not necessarily a bad thing. I personally think 'cut and buff' is overrestoring a finish. I'd leave it alone.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/19/18 03:37 AM

My goal on my AAR, is after it is painted, someone looks at it & has to really challenge themself to determine if the car is original paint, or a repaint. Meaning, it will be straight & level as OE, but it will have OE-looking orange peel! THAT is more of a challenge than the sucked glass look.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/19/18 04:13 AM

A few OEM resto guys might get it, The other 99% of people will think the paint is second rate in my experience.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/19/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda
My goal on my AAR, is after it is painted, someone looks at it & has to really challenge themself to determine if the car is original paint, or a repaint. Meaning, it will be straight & level as OE, but it will have OE-looking orange peel! THAT is more of a challenge than the sucked glass look.

Agree 100%

I prefer the orange peel deep paint look versus the glossy wet look of too much clear.

As to the OP - looks good so finish it.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Paint better than when new or similar to when new? - 08/19/18 07:01 AM

Finish is personal taste. Myself I cant stand the OE paint look. Back in the day we all complained about the amount of orange peel in the paint. Never understood why anyone would want to spend all the money to restore a car and not make the finish as nice as possible.

I understand the driver part but all the shops I ever used wouldn't let a car out of the shop unless the finish was smooth, flat and straight. Not ragging on the car just an opinion. Enjoy the car how you want.
© 2024 Moparts Forums