Moparts

I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working!

Posted By: RobG

I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/09/18 04:05 PM

I just had my 727 rebuilt. The speedometer was working prior to the rebuild. Now, after picking up the car the speedometer is dead.

I only looked to see if the cable was hooked up (and it is). Where should I start de-bugging the problem? Could the gear be disengaged/worn and not making contact after the rebuild?
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/09/18 04:19 PM

The housing that the speedo gear is installed into needs to be clocked correctly for the diameter of the gear you're running. If you know the tooth count of the gear you'll see the hash marks on the housing to see how far to move it clockwise.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/09/18 04:30 PM

pull the cable & check that the inner cable is seated all the way forward (toward the speedo) in the sheath. If good there you'd need to pull the adapter & see what is up in there (& first as said check the clocking). Jack the car up as high as you can on the dr side to minimize fluid loss
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/09/18 07:08 PM

If the rebuilder couldn't even clock the pinion adapter correctly, I'd wonder what else he screwed up.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/09/18 07:20 PM

Look here and scroll down for picture.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2532811
Posted By: Morty426

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/10/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
If the rebuilder couldn't even clock the pinion adapter correctly, I'd wonder what else he screwed up.

Yes that's a concern
Posted By: bonefish

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/10/18 04:45 PM

check to see if you pulled the cable out of the speedo
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/10/18 04:55 PM

haha yep, nothing on the inside is as simple as this.
Posted By: ct440rod

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/10/18 05:37 PM

Why not take it back to rebuilder.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/10/18 06:32 PM

Have you disconnected the cable to see if he put the gear in the trans?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/11/18 01:54 AM

Rob when the time comes, for sure post what it ends up being.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/11/18 06:27 AM

A lot of these places have kids or limited experience guys doing the R&R work for the transmission builders.

And yeah the speedo pinion is clocked wrong.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/11/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Have you disconnected the cable to see if he put the gear in the trans?

If the pinion was missing, there would be noticeable fluid leakage from the hole. A small common screwdriver can be used in the square opening in the pinion shaft to turn the shaft. If it will spin, the pinion isn't making contact with the drive gear.
Posted By: moparx

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/12/18 04:03 PM

i always use the small screwdriver trick john mentioned above to make sure the pinion is meshing correctly with the output shaft gear before tightening down the retainer fork bolt.
beer
Posted By: RobG

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/13/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Rob when the time comes, for sure post what it ends up being.

I finally had time to work on the car Sunday. It was clocked incorrectly.

I do have another issue showing up - the needle is jumping at lower speeds. I guess I will start by greasing the cable to see if this eliminates the issue.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: I had my 727 Rebuilt, Now my Speedometer is not working! - 08/13/18 04:59 PM

Use speedometer lube not any old grease.
© 2024 Moparts Forums