Moparts

Rebuilt power steering box vendor

Posted By: gdonovan

Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 01:23 PM

Looking to purchase a power steering box for a '70 B-Body, stock is fine for my purposes. Where to go for reliable purchase?

Board search came up somewhat empty.

Everyone have a great Sunday

Gary
Posted By: seaworthy10

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 02:43 PM

steer&gear columbus oh have done several for me works great for me extra firm feel steers like a modern car. jms
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 04:19 PM

I’ve read quite a few posts that say the remans from Lares, on Rock Auto are the way to go for just a general stock replacement.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 05:38 PM

So I did this about a year ago, maybe 2.

Everyone here recommended firm feel or steer and gear, with a couple of exceptions.

As mentioned above Lares remans were also recommended.
I found advanced auto had online discounts and ship to store for free.

I decided to order a 74 and up box so I could use the cheaper pitman arm as well.

while it still has some play in it, the old one was much worse.
But the alignment guy still never quite got the steering wheel straight.

Calling lares they said I had to have the car running, and even with that, the slop has me steering slight the off center. not holding like it drifts, just that the alignment shop couldn't get any closer.

before I would say something like 70 to 80 degrees before the steering "Caught" and the car would turn.
now it is more like 10-25 degrees.

I would say a hand in either direction before it catches.

A few detractors of firm feel and steer and gear pointed out I might get the same thing from them, AND be on the hook for shipping if I wanted it fixed.

the price at the time was like 150 for the lares through advanced auto.
so it was a no brainer cost wise.

I see now they don't offer that box anymore.

rock auto does and it is around 250 with 100 dollar core.

FF is close to 400 with 250 core charge.

steer and gear is 320 plus 195 core

and you are paying for shipping back for both, not sure about shipping to you.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 07:23 PM

I bought a Level 2 box from Firm Feel a while back, no great change in feel but I wanted to run the fast ratio pitman and they can limit the stops for you. If I had to do it again I would just go Rockauto.

Andrewh - sounds like your box might be "off neutral," might want to find a better alignment tech or spend an afternoon with the FSM.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By wesgtx440
I’ve read quite a few posts that say the remans from Lares, on Rock Auto are the way to go for just a general stock replacement.

Really??
I have only heard that the parts store rebuilds are nothing more than cleaned and REgasket jobs...NO hard parts are replaced so if that chuck was loose and sloppy before, it is just as bad after.
It mostly comes down to WHERE you are in the USA. Closer to the West Coast? FIRM FEEL in Washington state. Since you are near the EAST coast, Steer and Gear is much closer. Both have great service but Firm Feel develops and sells more products including suspension rebuild parts, torsion bars, sway bars, shocks, brake pads, etc.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 07/29/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

I have only heard that the parts store rebuilds are nothing more than cleaned and REgasket jobs...NO hard parts are replaced so if that chuck was loose and sloppy before, it is just as bad after.

If that is the case, I'll consider resealing a stock box I have here from a '74 Dart. If they replaced bushings as well then I'd consider a "rebuild" but I was wondering how in depth the rebuilds were.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/01/18 06:36 PM

I got a cardone rebuild for a Durango once , it wasn't better than the box it replaced , a little better than the one I got for it from the local junkyard.

If the box doesn't get new gears during the rebuild it won't be much better than it was when it was returned.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/02/18 02:54 AM

I put a FF Stage 3 in my 70 sport satellite . . . firm at speed and its a tighter than regular mopar power steering when at slow speed . . . I had a stage 2 in my 74 Duster360, and it did not feel any different than regular mopar power steering.

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/02/18 05:34 AM

I have heard that before. There must be a noticeable difference between the Stage 2 and the Stage 3. Mine feels great....Stage 3 and Fast Ratio arms.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/02/18 05:35 PM

Stage 3 has a different "worm" gear in it is what I was told

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/03/18 06:27 AM

I thought the worm gear changed the ratio. ALL of Firm Feels power gear boxes are the same 15.7 to 1 ratio.
Posted By: 64Bel

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/03/18 07:23 AM

How do you like the fast ratio? I'm liking the 14:1 of the borgeson.

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/03/18 11:10 PM

The stock chuck with the Fast ratio arms alters the ratio to approx. 12 to 1. It feels heavier to steer than any other Mopar that I have ever owned. I like it. It still has that free play from center but then again, I have never rebuilt the coupler.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/07/18 01:09 AM

Look up Lares online https://www.larescorp.com/. They are NOT Cardone. They are a better company freezing their butts off in Minnesota, not sunbathing in Tijuana (or Shanghai).
The "I have heard" termite strikes again!

R.
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/07/18 06:13 AM

Check this vendor site for some steering goodies: http://bergmanautocraft.com/
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 08/08/18 03:49 AM

Lares rebuilding service is available at rock auto and using there shipping is very reasonable to
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Rebuilt power steering box vendor - 11/04/18 10:17 AM

FREE shipping at Bergman Auto Craft on the kit or just the box.

Attached picture bergman18.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums