Moparts

Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material

Posted By: 71 FJ6 Charger

Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 02:45 PM

I'm doing a gasket overhaul on my 383,using steel gaskets for the heads. Whats the best thing to use to get the gasket material off. I have a scraper for the bulk,how do I get them clean like a shop would? I do have a drill if there is something I can get for it. Thanks all.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 02:58 PM

permatex's spray on gasket remover works fairly well on baked on material if you let it set for ~ 10 minutes before you start scraping. I touch up my gasket scraper on the bench grinder & keep the angle right so not to gouge the metal.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:06 PM

have a friend do it.... i really hate scraping gaskets.

One of those spongie fibery looking disk thingies takes gaskets off pretty well without damaging to surface

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:10 PM

Me too,but my friend is a dick!
I'll see what Harbor Freight has,thanks!
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:15 PM

Napa has a 'scotch brite pad on a drill' that works well, as long as you take it slow and don't get too aggressive. Probably what aarcuda was thinking.

-Dave
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:28 PM

Quote:

Napa has a 'scotch brite pad on a drill' that works well, as long as you take it slow and don't get too aggressive. Probably what aarcuda was thinking.

-Dave

One needs to be VERY careful using those things , they can and will remove metal , DON'T use them on head and block mating surfaces .

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:43 PM

What about gasket remover,let it sit,then a scraper then steel wool?

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 03:49 PM

no steel wool

what surfaces are you trying to clean ? it doesn't need to be bright and shiney , just down to metal and FLAT ... unless its pitted from rust ...

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 04:12 PM

OK cool.Yes, I'm doin the heads and block.

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 04:14 PM

no pits

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 04:19 PM

Personally I wouldn't use electric powered stuff on the head gasket surface or the intake surface of the head . It's a crappy job but you don't want to rush it .

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 04:28 PM

I got time. Looks likegasket remover and a scraper. Thanks man!
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 05:01 PM

Quote:

I'm doing a gasket overhaul on my 383,using steel gaskets for the heads. Whats the best thing to use to get the gasket material off. I have a scraper for the bulk,how do I get them clean like a shop would? I do have a drill if there is something I can get for it. Thanks all.

"Gasket remover spray" I bought a can. It works. Its actually methylene chloride which is paint stripper and is a carcinogen. Worst part about working on a car is cleaning parts and worst part about cleaning parts is scraping gaskets.

I use different scrapers depending on what and where... Single edge razor scraper. Harbor freight has boxes of 50 or 100 blades cheap. Cheapo Harbor Freight wood chisels. Regular Red devil type spatulas and scrapers. etc etc.

What I won't use is steel wool, sandpaper, garnet paper, aluminum oxide paper, emery paper/cloth etc, scotch bright or any other abrasive substance, by hand or power.

Have to be very careful, especially around aluminum so you don't scratch, gouge, knick, wear away, etc.

Years ago when I was kid I read a book about European racing cars and it mentioned that the place they were talking about in the chapter Ferrari I think forbid using rags for cleaning. Brushes only allowed; no chances for lint plugging up passages/lines/orifices etcetc...

My $0.02
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 06:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

"Gasket remover spray" I bought a can. It works. Its actually methylene chloride which is paint stripper and is a carcinogen. Worst part about working on a car is cleaning parts and worst part about cleaning parts is scraping gaskets.

I use different scrapers depending on what and where... Single edge razor scraper. Harbor freight has boxes of 50 or 100 blades cheap. Cheapo Harbor Freight wood chisels. Regular Red devil type spatulas and scrapers. etc etc.

What I won't use is steel wool, sandpaper, garnet paper, aluminum oxide paper, emery paper/cloth etc, scotch bright or any other abrasive substance, by hand or power.

Have to be very careful, especially around aluminum so you don't scratch, gouge, knick, wear away, etc.

Years ago when I was kid I read a book about European racing cars and it mentioned that the place they were talking about in the chapter Ferrari I think forbid using rags for cleaning. Brushes only allowed; no chances for lint plugging up passages/lines/orifices etcetc...

My $0.02

Also, when scraping, "visuallyize" how the pressure works in the area you are working, and scrape AROUND the cavitiy, not radially I.E. straight in/ out. In other words, such as a head gasket, you don't want scratches from the scraper pointing into the cylinder area like clock hands. On things like the oil pan rail or timing cover, this is pretty much intuitive. Just scrape the "long way" around
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/09/09 07:28 PM

I found a razor blade to work quite well.
Posted By: Strongbad

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 12:34 AM

5 bucks for a can of gasket remover spary at most auto parts store is all you need. i asked this question about 2 weeks back and then went and got some and it made life easy.

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 01:21 AM

Quote:

My $0.02

I remember reading once that German mechanics are not allowed to have hammers in their toolboxes as the shop foremans philosophy is that parts should be made to fit without the use of brute force

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 02:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My $0.02

I remember reading once that German mechanics are not allowed to have hammers in their toolboxes as the shop foremans philosophy is that parts should be made to fit without the use of brute force

true story. the first motor i ever rebuilt was cleaned using brake cleaner to remove the grease and towels to wipe down

it look perfect.

during the cam break in the oil pressure went from 65 psi down to 15 or so in about 5- 10 minutes.

I puled the motor out thinking i did serious damage. as soon as i pulled the pan i saw the problem. The oil pickup screen looked like a dryer lint filter- completely covered with the lint from my towels.

So yes, that lint statement is very true. it happened to me
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 02:50 AM

Mopar recommends this on aluminum heads.

They are called Roloc discs and made by 3M.

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 03:22 AM

Quote:

Hmmm... Abrasive...aluminum oxide mds here

I guess if MOPAR says OK; however...
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 03:23 AM

Ray Barton turned me onto this unreal, super-slick, $10 (USA) carbide scraper a few years back - nothing else comes close!

Rick

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

Ray Barton turned me onto this unreal, super-slick, $10 (USA) carbide scraper a few years back - nothing else comes close!

Rick

Looks like maybe a lathe tool insert or something like that...held on with a screw? Where can we get one?

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 03:50 AM

Quote:

Sweet,I have the green one of those,never thought of that!
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rick

Looks like maybe a lathe tool insert or something like that...held on with a screw? Where can we get one?

Looks like a grout removal tool for ceramic tile!

Tell me it isn't so!

Got any other pics of that?
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 12:09 PM

Careful when those nubs fly off, wear safety glasses.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 04:18 PM

It is made by Lisle, specifically made for removing gaskets. The carbide bit is held on by a screw, can be rotated / flipped to provide 6 total wear sufaces.

The debris kinda peels off and curls up cleanly, nothing will fly into your eye.

I found one souce online:

Lisle scraper

..I'm sure there are lots of others, most auto parts stores can order Lisle tools. I also swear by their "wrinkle band" ring compressor.

Rick

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 06:43 PM

Quote:

It is made by Lisle, specifically made for removing gaskets. The carbide bit is held on by a screw, can be rotated / flipped to provide 6 total wear sufaces.
The debris kinda peels off and curls up cleanly, nothing will fly into your eye. I found one souce online: url=https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=3666]Lisle scraper[/url]
..I'm sure there are lots of others, most auto parts stores can order Lisle tools. I also swear by their "wrinkle band" ring compressor.
Rick

Rick your recommendation is good enough for me. I am going to order one.

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The debris kinda peels off and curls up cleanly, nothing will fly into your eye. I found one souce online: url=https://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=3666]Lisle scraper[/url]
Rick

Rick your recommendation is good enough for me. I am going to order one.

i just tried. I need a minimum order of $25. Any other cools tools on there for $15 or so??
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 07:55 PM

Quote:

i just tried. I need a minimum order of $25. Any other cools tools on there for $15 or so??

Looks like Northern auto tool has it also; a bit cheaper even. I don't know if they have a minimum order or not.
https://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?InventoryId=6953

Also has replacement heads for $5.

I think I'll have to pick one up as well.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 08:15 PM

with Rug Trucker looks similar to a grout removal tool at home but no handle with bend. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stor...23X-_-100194652
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 08:54 PM

Green 3M small disks. Really cleans the surface.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/10/09 10:35 PM

Quote:

looks similar to a grout removal tool at home but no handle with bend.

Didn't I just say that?

Mopar Performance will repackage them and sell them for $21.95 No warranty, and probably won't fit!

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/11/09 12:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm... Abrasive...aluminum oxide mds here

I guess if MOPAR says OK; however...

Forget what the MDS says , I use those to remove RUST off my firewall , the LAST place I would go near wit hsomething sporting ALUM> OXIDE as the cleaning surface is a MACHINED SURFACE ...
Posted By: snuggles

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/11/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

looks similar to a grout removal tool at home but no handle with bend.

Didn't I just say that?

Mopar Performance will repackage them and sell them for $21.95 No warranty, and probably won't fit!

I didn't see that earlier so I'll add an to my earlier post.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/20/09 04:31 AM

From some Mopar TSBs:
Gasket Surface Preparation On Aluminum Engine Components
"NOTE: DO NOT USE METAL SCRAPERS GRINDING DISCS OR ABRASIVES TO CLEAN ALUMINUM ENGINE COMPONENTS. DAMAGE TO THE SEALING SURFACE WILL OCCUR."

Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) Head Gasket Installation Procedures
"Using a plastic or wooden scraper, scrape any large amounts of gasket residue from the surfaces. If necessary, apply additional solvent/gasket remover to ease removal.
If additional cleaning is needed, use a drill motor and 3M roloc bristle disc p/n 07528 (white) carefully remove remaining gasket material from head/block"

White is called fine by 3M, and they call yellow medium.

Personally, I would use any type of abrasive or power equipment as a last resort. At work, we use Plexiglas scrapers on everything, which us usually aluminum. Southwest Airlines wants only a specific scraper, which is a plastic softer than the Plexiglas, used on their aircraft. They tried using a cheaper maintenance company in Canada, and they used razor blades to remove seal on the skin. The entire plane had to be scraped. We got their business back after that.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Whats The Best Way To Clean Off Gasket Material - 03/20/09 10:23 AM

3M roloc discs on a die grinder or drill works best.Thats all I use at home and work.Just use common semse when using them and they are great.Been using them for 20 years.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums