Moparts

Installing Alternator pulley's

Posted By: sixpackman

Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/22/18 03:47 PM

Hello,

I found the correct alternator for my AAR but is missing the pulley. I read somewhere that I need to remove the rear case to be able to press the pulley on? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Posted By: therocks

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/22/18 04:02 PM

Yes the rea case must be removed to press the pulley on.I have done 1 or 2 without splitting then though.The first one I ever did years ago i messed up the rear bearing pressing one on without splitting the case.Just mark them split the case and press it on.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/22/18 05:17 PM

Yes make 2 magic marker marks on each outer case half for easy (re)alignment when done. When the wife ain't looking put it in the freezer overnight & slightly heat the pulley then support the rear of the shaft & carefully press it on.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/22/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackman
Hello,

I found the correct alternator for my AAR but is missing the pulley. I read somewhere that I need to remove the rear case to be able to press the pulley on? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I use to go thru the BS of disassembling the cases to change pullies, but found it far easier to go to my local AutoZone or NAPA, they'd have it changed out in lest than five minutes without pulling it apart, no charge (although good to grease the guys palm) and at times not even purchasing the alternator there....
Posted By: moparx

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/23/18 05:24 PM

any time i tried to press on an alternator pully with it fully assembled, i wanked up the rear bearing. flame what could i have done wrong ? i supported it correctly ...... i think. even using a heated pulley.
beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/23/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
found it far easier to go to my local AutoZone or NAPA, they'd have it changed out in lest than five minutes without pulling it apart

Hmmm.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/23/18 08:20 PM

I didn't think the shaft is threaded like a crankshaft but if so, the same type of threaded tool could draw the pulley on
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/23/18 09:28 PM

It takes so little effort to remove a brush or 2, then 3 screws, then take apart and then press pulley onto shaft. Or block of wood under rear of shaft, then whack pulley on with hammer and soft block if you have to. Those rear bearings are not the most solid of units.

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/23/18 11:46 PM

"Take apart" is the operative phrase.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/24/18 04:34 AM

RR i agree never saw one with threads.IIRC my service manuals also show splitting the case.Rocky
Posted By: sixpackman

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/24/18 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone!! Just hate to pull apart a fully restored ALT. but I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks again, Appreciate all your help!!!!

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/24/18 05:15 PM

Some folks here have claimed that heating the pulley in the oven will allow it to drop right on the shaft......never worked for me.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Installing Alternator pulley's - 07/26/18 03:58 AM

I've heated dozens and dropped them on, no big deal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums