Moparts

weird 8_3/4 question

Posted By: blown340

weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:09 PM

Hey all, I have a weird question. I just pulled the 2.76 geared center section out of the 8_3/4 in my challenger to put in a new 3.23 posi unit. When I pulled the old unit out there was a peice of 1x1 inch by 3 inches long square steel in between the differential gears?!?!?!? See attatched picture? I'm assuming it means that whoever put this thing in at some point didn't have the correct parts to hold it together so they just threw the steel in there to keep the gears from folling out? Anyway I'm just curious if anyone knows why it really might be there? The weird thing is the thing worked perfectly for me for well over 50,000 miles since I bought it in 96.. Also does this mean the diff is scrap, or can I still sell it?

Thanks,
-Jon

Attached picture 1505730-Picture 001.jpg
Posted By: 70rrclone

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:19 PM

Is that piece welded in there if so it may be an attempt to weld the spider gears together to make a posi out of it. It would definately hurt resale.
IIRC there shouldnt be anything other than the spider gear pin in that area
shane
can you get a better pic of the metal and the spider gear area??
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:28 PM

Quote:

Is that piece welded in there if so it may be an attempt to weld the spider gears together to make a posi out of it. It would definately hurt resale.
IIRC there shouldnt be anything other than the spider gear pin in that area
shane
can you get a better pic of the metal and the spider gear area??

yep the spiders hold themself in place , there would be a floating thrust block in the otherwise .
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:29 PM

You would need shorter axles with that piece in there. Normally the axles touch the center pin and you might have problems installing your new 3:23 posi unless you use green bearings.
`66 monaco 500
`64 galaxie 500XL

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:33 PM

Nope, its just sitting in their loosely. It'll be a while before I can grab a new picture of it but here's a cropped and enlarged closeup.

-Jon

Attached picture 1505782-closeup.jpg
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:35 PM

I think some ingenious guy used that instead of the thrust block.
`66 monaco 500
`64 galaxie 500XL

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:35 PM

Quote:

You would need shorter axles with that piece in there. Normally the axles touch the center pin and you might have problems installing your new 3:23 posi unless you use green bearings.
`66 monaco 500
`64 galaxie 500XL

I had no problem installing the new diff. I do have green bearings though.

-Jon
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 07:53 PM

The square thrust block pictured is factory original and correct for pre-'64 rear ends.

Prior to '64 the center thrust block width was different for Sure-Grip and non Sure-Grip differentials; the square thrust block was about 1/4" thinner than the Sure-Grip buttons and needed a longer axle. Starting in '64 they decided to make the axles the same length and introduced the wider round thrust block for the non Sure-Grip units.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 08:09 PM

Quote:

The square thrust block pictured is factory original and correct for pre-'64 rear ends.

Prior to '64 the center thrust block width was different for Sure-Grip and non Sure-Grip differentials; the square thrust block was about 1/4" thinner than the Sure-Grip buttons and needed a longer axle. Starting in '64 they decided to make the axles the same length and introduced the wider round thrust block for the non Sure-Grip units.

Posted By: wildman340

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 10:16 PM

"We're not worthy"

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 10:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info! I swear whatever the question there's always someone on this board who knows the answer..

So I guess I now have to find someone who wants a pre 64 center section with a open diff and 2.76 gears.. something tells me the scrapyard may be the only one who is going to want that.. :P

-Jon
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 10:30 PM

John, you are the man. Learn something new every day on Moparts.

Tim

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/17/05 10:37 PM

Quote:

So I guess I now have to find someone who wants a pre 64 center section with a open diff and 2.76 gears.. something tells me the scrapyard may be the only one who is going to want that.

The early unit with the narrow thrust block is ideal for use with Green axle bearings since the later thrust block is often too wide and requires removal of the block or shortening the axles.
Posted By: Mr_fixit

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/18/05 02:23 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong , John, but if the old center was in the later housing with the later axles, I'd say you could use that center in any housing. If I understand correctly, the axle end play must have been sloppy for years. But the driver didn't notice? Couldn't you adjust the adjuster in more on the one side to take up the difference? That's an 1/8" each side, right. If not, couldn't you use 2 right side axles to take up the adjustment? Just wondering. Doesn't really matter since most people won't want a pre 64 open in a 65 and up housing. They want sure grip!

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/18/05 10:11 PM

There's no guarantee that there would be enough adjustment available to take up 1/4" of play even with two adjusters.

The axle end play spec has remained pretty much the same over the years, but the pre-'65 adjustment was done with shims.
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: weird 8_3/4 question - 02/19/05 02:11 PM

Quote:

It would definately hurt resale.

A 2.76 open chunk has no resale value to begin with.

© 2024 Moparts Forums