Moparts

New manual steering box

Posted By: Fishmarket

New manual steering box - 07/18/18 02:42 PM

Is anybody familiar with these manual steering boxes on eBay? Less than $200 to the door.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1966-1979-Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-A-B-C-E-Body-Car-Truck-Manual-Steering-Box/141484763056?hash=item20f12627b0%3Ag%3AEeoAAOSwkNZUdLDz&_nkw=mopar+steering+box&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmopar+steering+box.TRS0
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 04:41 PM

the link wont highlight/open.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 05:13 PM

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1966-1979-Mopar-D...ox/141484763056

Not familiar with these boxes, myself.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 05:30 PM

I bought one last summer, so far its not bad, the adjustment thread is backed WAY out, longer than the factory one. It came packed with grease. Mine has a little play, I want to see if I can adjust it out, but its way better than the box it replaced. Just haven't had time to try to adjust it.

The casting looks the same as the factory box, so I suspect they bought the molds from Mopar Performance or someone similar.

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 08:43 PM

it says 168 sold & (1) left (hurry!). For the price it might be worth a shot.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 09:31 PM

Don't worry, the boxes are around:
http://www.replacementenginepartsstore.com/mopar-manual-steering.html

I imagine that means someone in China has tooled up for them.

But before you order, make sure you're not buying anything from Waterloo, Iowa, at least that's what my Websearch turned up.

R.
Posted By: burdar

Re: New manual steering box - 07/18/18 09:40 PM

Quote:
But before you order, make sure you're not buying anything from Waterloo, Iowa, at least that's what my Websearch turned up.

What's wrong with Waterloo Iowa?

Re: New manual steering box - 07/19/18 06:38 PM

Well, there was that Abba song, and those Napoleon references, and the fact that the first John Deere tractor was actually called the "Waterloo Boy", but none of those are the reason.

Do a search for gearheadenterprizes.com and you should come up with many sad stories. Or rodpartsdealer.com. For a while it appeared that rodpartsdealer was based in Hudson, IA and Gearheadenterprises based in Waterloo, IA. There were many complaints for either shipping wrong parts or not shipping at all from the Waterloo store. Someone said the good guy was in Hudson. But now it appears that they are combined, or admitting they were combined all along. The BBB has complaints on file. HAMB has complaints. Grassroots Motorsports has complaints.

The gist of the complaints are:
Sent wrong parts
Sent mismatched parts
Took money but didn't send parts
Sold really poor quality parts or parts that needed rework
Really really really poor customer service. Rude, don't call back, refusing to admit errors, hanging up, etc.

So if you DO do business with either or both of these companies, pay with Paypal and if the order is any late or wrong file a complaint as fast as you can. Do not listen to promises and wait until your complaint won't be considered valid by Paypal or ebay.

R.
Posted By: burdar

Re: New manual steering box - 07/19/18 07:21 PM

Good to know. Thanks!
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: New manual steering box - 07/19/18 11:45 PM

Got two of them installed on A bodies. been on a couple of years now, No complaints.

Re: New manual steering box - 07/20/18 07:16 PM

24:1 or 16:1?

R.

Re: New manual steering box - 07/20/18 07:24 PM

I cant speak for a DD but the 16:1 (manual) made a night & day difference on the stock car in the corners (from the 24:1). Before that it was hand over hand action, not good at all.
© 2024 Moparts Forums