Moparts

sending unit

Posted By: bonefish

sending unit - 07/16/18 02:25 PM

Any updates on gas tank sending units that are atleast close to accurate?
Posted By: hyefatman

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 05:02 PM

You can not even get them to work when new. The quality of our aftermarket parts are going downhill.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By bonefish
Any updates on gas tank sending units that are atleast close to accurate?
NO.......Most if not all are crap.
Posted By: therocks

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 05:45 PM

Bought one with 3/8 pickup a few years back for my 65.Is SS and was like 65 bucks off Ebay.Sender has worked decent since Ive instaled it.Just didnt save the place I bought it from.I installed a few from the same place but that was at least 7 years ago.Rocky
Posted By: bonefish

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 06:20 PM

I got one from Dixie about 10 yrs ago that worked perfect but they cant get them any more.there was a thread on here a while back on how to calibrate the bad ones,but cant seem to find it.it was all about the OHMS
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 07:43 PM

I was reading somewhere online a while back that the aftermarket sender`s rheostat is wound or made different from OE and it won`t ever be as accurate as the original. Not sure if it is true or not but ever aftermarket sender I used were crap.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 08:20 PM

I don't think the sender is the problem in many cases, its 50 year old wiring/connections/gauges. To verify you can test the sender. I've had 3 aftermarket sending units and they all test out per the FSM. All you need is an ohmmeter.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 08:33 PM

I wasted money on a repro sending unit that I couldn't calibrate with my fuel gauge on the bench. I found a NOS unit at Carlisle last year that was spot on. I suggest you try to find a NOS unit or send yours out for rebuilding.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By FJR doc
I wasted money on a repro sending unit that I couldn't calibrate with my fuel gauge on the bench. I found a NOS unit at Carlisle last year that was spot on. I suggest you try to find a NOS unit or send yours out for rebuilding.

Send it out where?
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 10:50 PM

I put one of these on my '69 Super Bee w/ aftermarket sending unit.

https://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html

Was a bit of a chore to set up (drain, measure, fill tank), but it is works great now! No more anxiety about how much fuel is in the tank because I know exactly how much there is.

beer
Posted By: OldFart

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 10:55 PM

Stupid question for most folks... what does NOS stand for? I see it often when looking for parts for my 68
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By OldFart
Stupid question for most folks... what does NOS stand for? I see it often when looking for parts for my 68
NOS stands for New Old Stock. Its means a brand new 30,40,50 year old part. Its old but still new meaning it was never used.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By OldFart

NOS stands for "expensive"... grin

Actually stands for New Old Stock. Parts that are unused, hence the term "new", but they were produced 30, 40, or maybe 50 years ago, hence the term "old".
Posted By: stumpy

Re: sending unit - 07/16/18 11:10 PM

Although in some cases it stands for nasty old sh-t being passed off as new.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: sending unit - 07/17/18 02:08 AM

I bought one from Kramers about 2 yrs ago. Still reading accurately.
http://www.kramerauto.com
Posted By: FC7cuda

Re: sending unit - 07/17/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By Black_Bee
I put one of these on my '69 Super Bee w/ aftermarket sending unit.

https://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html

Was a bit of a chore to set up (drain, measure, fill tank), but it is works great now! No more anxiety about how much fuel is in the tank because I know exactly how much there is.

beer

Killer item!! thanks for posting.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: sending unit - 07/17/18 04:10 PM

We have a few of the ones left that we used to make. We have the following applications:

63-5 B-body in 5/16" or 3/8"
66-67 B-body in 3/8"
71-4 B-body in 3/8"

67-76 A-body in 3/8" Not original, but made some for better fuel flow.

I have 2 NOS 5/16" 68-70 b-body.

If you don't see your application listed above, we can get current reproductions. They have been hit or miss in quality as previously mentioned.

Happy to help if we can, give us a call or shoot us an email.

Randy
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: sending unit - 07/17/18 05:48 PM

I've never had one rebuilt but I was thinking about the option before I found my NOS unit. A quick Google gives several results. I know nothing about the quality of their work but here are a couple places:

https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp
https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/services.asp
Posted By: LimelightCuda

Re: sending unit - 07/17/18 07:48 PM

Thanks for the information. My friend is trying to get his fuel gauge to work properly on his '66 Dart. I will pass it on to him.
Posted By: Dixie

Re: sending unit - 07/19/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By LimelightCuda
Thanks for the information. My friend is trying to get his fuel gauge to work properly on his '66 Dart. I will pass it on to him.

There used to be a guy who advertised in Hemmings years ago that would rebuilt your sending unit and calibrate your gauge at the same time. Might be worth checking out the ads to see if he's still around. I think he was called the "clock doc", but not sure.

Good luck !
© 2024 Moparts Forums