Moparts

headers that fit?

Posted By: marcjames

headers that fit? - 07/10/18 02:29 PM

stock 1967 gtx 440 any input would be helpful thank you
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 02:38 PM

I have no experience with that combination, but TTI seems to have the best reputation for fit. That is providing you follow their installation instructions to the letter.

Good Luck!
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 02:56 PM

tti.
Posted By: rubberduck

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 03:33 PM

Doug´s Headers.
Posted By: hyefatman

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 03:56 PM

Get the stock hp exhaust and run it all the way back. Zero heat problems, zero clearance problems. Stress free living.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 05:17 PM

I've never found any headers that fit perfectly but I can't say I've tried every single one on the market either. My suggestion is to use the smallest header size since that increases the odds of it working. A stock big block doesn't need much more than a 1 3/4 header so that should free up some space. Maybe look at the Schumacher tri-y header since they don't take up a ton of space. Good luck.
Posted By: moparx

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 05:48 PM

schumacher, in many past years, has had a display engine at carlisle with those headers installed. if the OP is going, or knows someone that is, you might consider taking a couple of pics of this setup.
beer
Posted By: markz528

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 07:52 PM

Hookers fit pretty decent in a 67 with a 440. I run 5209 (2 inch).
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 08:01 PM

In my 68 satellite with RB motor I’ve run 1-3/4 Eagle(from the 80’s), and Hooker 2” super comp.
I had some SR heads on a RB motor in the car, and installed the TTi 2-2 1/8” step headers for the Indy heads. They were the easiest of the 3 to install.

On my 383 B engine I ran Hooker Competition headers , which are 1-7/8”.

In my car, the Eagles and Hooker Comps were actually harder to get into the car than the big headers, but once installed I felt all four sets fit pretty well.

If you have angle plug heads, the TTi’s generally have the best plug clearance.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 08:09 PM

TTI!
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: headers that fit? - 07/10/18 08:22 PM

i have 2" tti headers and a full 3" tti exhaust in my 65 coronet. fit is perfect! 1 3/4" tti's would be very easy and their 1 3/4" shorties are probably easier. I have tti full exhaust with cast manifolds in my 69 coronet r/t, perfect fit.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By markz528
Hookers fit pretty decent in a 67 with a 440. I run 5209 (2 inch).

I have the same Hooker headers on my 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe two door sedan with a stock iron headed (452 heads) 440 motor and those headers fit well and weren't hard to install with the new motor, it was a slant six three speed stick car before so I swapped the K member out to a 1968 B Body V8 K member into it also up
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 02:11 AM

anything other then Cyclone or blackjack.
Posted By: SportF

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 03:23 AM

TTI headers fit, and they always did. Here is another factor seldom mentioned, their quality is way above everybody else. They will last.

One other factor, they sponsor a number of Nostalgia Super Stock races and groups including Victory Nostalgia Super Stocks. Is there any other header maker sponsoring anybody?
Posted By: frank

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 03:34 AM

I have 1 7/8 TTI in my 69 GTX with RB engine and they fit nice. I installed them with the car on jack stands in my garage without any issues. Stock type steering box but mini starter.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 03:41 AM

Doug's D452 2" primary. Fit great easy install on my 68 B body w/440 with edelbrock heads. Schumachers are 1 5/8" primary. I have them on my 67 Dart w/440 and they fit real easy.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By hyefatman
Get the stock hp exhaust and run it all the way back. Zero heat problems, zero clearance problems. Stress free living.

B O R I N G .
Posted By: stumpy

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 05:01 AM

But still easier to work around when necessary.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By moparx
schumacher, in many past years, has had a display engine at carlisle with those headers installed. if the OP is going, or knows someone that is, you might consider taking a couple of pics of this setup.
beer

I have a set of Schumacher Tri-Y's on my 65 Sport Fury Big Block and love them. Excellent quality, easy install (from the top), no leaks and the coating is holding up great after 8 years. I will be buying another set. Also had good luck with TTI
Posted By: 383man

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 09:13 AM

TTI have been the best fitting and working headers I have ever used. They have good plug clearance even with my angle plug EZ heads and IMO are much easier to change the plugs then it would be with exh manifolds. Ron
Posted By: BSB67

Re: headers that fit? - 07/11/18 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

B O R I N G .

Because putting on headers is really stepping out laugh2
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: headers that fit? - 07/12/18 04:04 AM

TTI. Best fitting headers I have ever installed. Expensive, but worth it.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: headers that fit? - 07/12/18 04:45 AM

A few TTI people say the best they ever installed, but without saying what they are comparing them to. ?

I only say this because I can't imagine a "better" fit than Dougs d452 fit if you want 2" primaries, for RB B body. $200 cheaper than TTIs for the polished ones anyway.

Re: headers that fit? - 07/12/18 02:15 PM

Exit1965...I'm comparing them to Hooker 1 7/8" Competition and the Hooker 5209 2" Super Comps. I had both on 440s and 383s in my '70 cuda and the 2 '69 road runners. Also had a pair of no name 1 7/8" headers that were exact copies of the Hooker 1 7/8" Comp headers.
The Hookers always seem to interfere w/ the steering components. Whether it be the actual steering column or the tie rod ends. One set sat right against the torsion bars.

I used a pair of TTI 2" to 2 1/8" step headers when I put Indy heads on my 440 and they fit GREAT.
Learning from that, when I went to the hemi, I bought TTI's 2.25" primary 4" collector headers and they fit GREAT also.
I have a pair of Hooker 2" primary Super Comps for a hemi hanging up in the shop, but have yet to use them.

Never used Doug's, but heard good things about them.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: headers that fit? - 07/12/18 02:33 PM

My 1-7/8" Super Comps are against one of my torsion bars too.....
This on a 70 Charger RB, 906 heads.

Joe

Re: headers that fit? - 07/12/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By jlatessa
My 1-7/8" Super Comps are against one of my torsion bars too.....
This on a 70 Charger RB, 906 heads.

Joe

This sounds crude and like something you might be scared to try but it worked for me...Get a ratchet strap and wrap around the collectors on both headers, so when you tighten it up, it draws the headers closer together and off of the torsion bars. If you don't have a crossover in your headpipes, weld a strap across the headpipes to hold the headers in that position. If you do have an H pipe, shorten and re-weld it. Remove the ratchet strap and drive it. Eventually, they'll stay that way after heating a cooling several times. Worked great on my dad's road runner. Only other option is to nearly remove the engine to get the headers out and beat the crap out of em w/ a hammer for clearance.
Did this almost 10 years ago to his car ('69 road runner, 440-6 w/ 906 heads) and never so much as hurt a header gasket...one thing I kinda figured might happen.

Re: headers that fit? - 07/13/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

B O R I N G .

I myself use headers as I like the bit of performance it gives. But nothing wrong with exh manifolds if that's what you like. There are many very fast cars running exh manifolds. The FAST and Pure Stock classes are full of real fast cars running exh manifolds. Ron

Re: headers that fit? - 07/13/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By Exit1965
A few TTI people say the best they ever installed, but without saying what they are comparing them to. ?

I only say this because I can't imagine a "better" fit than Dougs d452 fit if you want 2" primaries, for RB B body. $200 cheaper than TTIs for the polished ones anyway.

I will say when I see pics of Gus's eng on his 64 Plymouth with his Doug headers they look a lot like my TTI's. And the Doug headers I see on cars look like a great fitting header. Myself I have not used Doug's but I do love my TTI's. Course that don't mean Doug's are not as good. I think both Doug's and TTI's are good fitting headers. Ron
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: headers that fit? - 07/14/18 04:13 PM

all headers fit, you just have to take your time. TTi's are stupid expensive. I like Hooker Super-comps they are 2 piece, easy installation. But I have also used Summit cheapo's w/ no issues at all. These are cheap summits w/ PS

Attached picture 177.JPG
Posted By: terzmo

Re: headers that fit? - 07/14/18 04:31 PM

I concur...headers capture the starter.

Re: headers that fit? - 07/14/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck
all headers fit, you just have to take your time. TTi's are stupid expensive. I like Hooker Super-comps they are 2 piece, easy installation. But I have also used Summit cheapo's w/ no issues at all. These are cheap summits w/ PS

Just be sure they have a thick enough flange on the cheapo headers. I hated the ones back in the 70's that warped and leaked with the very thin flanges. I know my TTI's have the nice thick flange that looks like a 1/4" thick. I can say they have been on my car since 2011 and still have the same header gaskets on them as they have never leaked. The Hedman headers I ran on my old 440 worked ok but the flange was not as thick as the TTI headers flange. Ron

Posted By: moparx

Re: headers that fit? - 07/14/18 07:49 PM

ron, i have found on the cheapo, thin flange, headers, if you drill the one hole bigger on each attaching section, and cut the attaching strap from each pipe pairing, using a premium gasket, those will seal fine. i "stole" that idea from mr. pbody a ton of years ago, and still use it with great results !
beer
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: headers that fit? - 07/16/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By Exit1965

In my case, I'm comparing to Hooker Comps and Super Comps. Good headers, but the TTIs were SO nice. I bought a complete 2" primary TTI system, cylinder head to tail pipe, for my '65 B Body and could not believe how well it fit and how easy it was to install. High quality, also.

Never tried Dougs, so I don't have an opinion on them.
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: headers that fit? - 07/17/18 12:28 AM

What are your needs? I.e. what diameter?

Fairly stock motor?

Race motor?
© 2024 Moparts Forums