Moparts

Reproduction original style spring hose clamps

Posted By: roadrunnerh

Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 03:31 PM

So I am installing these on my 68 RR. I've noticed in two complete sets I have there are two different size large clamps for upper and lower rad hose. Which is for which? I used the smaller two on my upper hose because the larger one was able to turn completely once unsprung on the rad end of upper hose. Help.

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 04:15 PM

Answer to my own question.... LOL

stamped "RC34" Lower Hose

stamped "RC30" Upper Hose
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By roadrunnerh
Answer to my own question.... LOL

stamped "RC34" Lower Hose

stamped "RC30" Upper Hose

yep
Posted By: moparx

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 05:46 PM

from what i hear, and have observed on my buddy's 72 duster, the reproduction clamps, coupled with the thinner wall section hoses, don't clamp tight enough. i "think" the solution is to peruse the grainger catalog for the correct size "range" of these clamps for your application. thoughts on this ?
beer
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
from what i hear, and have observed on my buddy's 72 duster, the reproduction clamps, coupled with the thinner wall section hoses, don't clamp tight enough. i "think" the solution is to peruse the grainger catalog for the correct size "range" of these clamps for your application. thoughts on this ?
beer

I agree. I've had several hoses pop off due to those clamps. Mainly lower radiator. I temporarily place a regular clamp on the lower rad hose until the next time I change the coolant. On the heater hoses going into the firewall they've weeped a bit. I moved the clamp around and it's stopped. Other than those hoses the clamps seem to be holding.

As a side note, make sure you use the proper clamp pliers. With using regular pliers the clamps sometime wont hold and will go flying. They can take out a windshield or chip paint.

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/23/18 07:26 PM

On mine, we shall see. They seem really tight, but the proof will come in a couple days when I fire it up.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/24/18 05:54 PM

I've had issue with the heater hose ones not clamping enough on the heater core tubes.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/24/18 09:55 PM

I used them on my 73 Charger and they worked out fine. No leaks. Just make sure the connections are clean and oil free. Now there might be some that are better quality then others.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/25/18 04:19 AM

beer

McMaster Carr has a better selection and quality, and the plating is identical to OEM

This is the only route to go if using "newer" hoses as you stated the hose OD is slightly smaller than OEM....and the current offering of Corbin clamps are for once spot on repros, unfortunately the hose mfg's have decreased the wall thickness of repro and aftermarket hoses, generally the upper/lower rad hoses are the ones affected....

FYI...and trying to "shrink" the OD of a Corbin clamp to increase the tension only results in "egging" the clamp, and it will still leak/fail...so purchase the right size clamp for proper fit...

Attached picture mmc.JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: Reproduction original style spring hose clamps - 06/25/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
beer

McMaster Carr has a better selection and quality, and the plating is identical to OEM

This is the only route to go if using "newer" hoses as you stated the hose OD is slightly smaller than OEM....and the current offering of Corbin clamps are for once spot on repros, unfortunately the hose mfg's have decreased the wall thickness of repro and aftermarket hoses, generally the upper/lower rad hoses are the ones affected....

FYI...and trying to "shrink" the OD of a Corbin clamp to increase the tension only results in "egging" the clamp, and it will still leak/fail...so purchase the right size clamp for proper fit...

mcmaster carr was what i was thinking about, not grainger. thanks for setting it straight ! and you are spot on about trying to "shrink" those clamps. my buddy tried that after i told him what would happen, and he was "rewarded" with a fuel leak at the filter. a fuel injection style clamp later solved that issue. the odd thing about my buddy is, his cars are slightly modified, yet he wants to stick with factory "known issues" using some of the repro parts available today. just an example, under the hood his cars look like a very nice stock style, detailed setup. then you notice the ribbed plastic, GM wiring loom crap...... oh well, it's his car after all. if he is happy, that's all that counts.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums