Moparts

air cleaners

Posted By: moparsquid

air cleaners - 06/19/18 10:11 PM

hello group ,I was wondering has anyone used the K&N filter pn. 60-1330 and did it affect performance any my current filters (according to frieberger) are the worst ones to use any thoughts?
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 01:30 AM

I would think it would only be a performance gain but that filter looks small for a V8 unless your running DQs.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 01:58 AM

This may be worth a few minutes to watch.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x693421
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 02:11 AM

can't say without knowing what you have. stock 318? big block stroker?

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
can't say without knowing what you have. stock 318? big block stroker?
running a 500 stkr with max xram and dual 600 holleys 580 solid cam
Posted By: Neil

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 03:59 PM

I had a K$N filter and then switched back to a paper filter and there was no difference in how it ran. Now I use the NAPA Gold filters, which are made by WIX.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 05:15 PM

Yeah, sucking in hot underhood air is always an improvement.

Engine dynos are not real world applications.

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 06:48 PM

was told by a friend who works with the engine masters dyno guy that these ones are good my paper ones were the worst at least 100hp loss
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 07:05 PM

When I dyno tested my old pump gas 511 C.I. six pack motor I tested it with a single stock Fram paper air cleaner, then two of them stacked and then I did the same with K&N elements and then no air cleaner base and finally with the air cleaner base. I saw a little improvement with two elements versus no elements, no where near 100 HP, maybe 3 to 6 HP gain with two elements versus one work Using the base only made some small gains also, same thing in the car at the track work

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By moparsquid
was told by a friend who works with the engine masters dyno guy that these ones are good my paper ones were the worst at least 100hp loss

Yeah, your friend is FOS. Go view the video Goody linked. Guess who's running the dyno? Steve Brule, the "engine masters dyno guy" you mentioned.

The only way you will see a 100hp loss with a paper filter is if you are trying to make the engine breathe thru a paper bag.

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By moparsquid

Yeah, your friend is FOS. Go view the video Goody linked. Guess who's running the dyno? Steve Brule, the "engine masters dyno guy" you mentioned.

The only way you will see a 100hp loss with a paper filter is if you are trying to make the engine breathe thru a paper bag.
I'm running the cheep spectre brand paper element anything else has to be better I may be wrong but I thought they said (FRIEBERGER) that the small round was the number 1 worst and most restrictive and it was down by 100 hp
Posted By: stumpy

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 09:54 PM

Watch the video and it will answer your question with eyes on proof.

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 10:07 PM

You know what, I'm FOS. I went back a re-rewatched it and the worse was a tiny filter, down 145hp or so.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 10:47 PM

That and the plugged up mopar snorkel at -95.8.

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 10:54 PM

that's the ones I'm using the small cheep ones

Re: air cleaners - 06/20/18 11:34 PM

Well, when you breathe thru a straw you ought to expect problems.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: air cleaners - 06/21/18 12:47 AM

I'm surprised how much was gained with dual snorkel over single snorkel.

Also, while power gains are achieved with K&N, what's left out is how much dirt they let thru. I'll stick with my paper filters.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: air cleaners - 06/21/18 01:05 PM

Wish they would have tested an un-silenced one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums