Moparts

never had this happen before..

Posted By: 440newport

never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 02:30 AM

The other day I was on my way to work in my '90 W-150. Coming to a stop sign I hit the brakes and heard a banging noise followed by losing all pedal pressure. Luckily there was no traffic and I wasn't going very fast anyways so I was able to come to stop by gearing down and pumping the pedal a bunch.

At first I thought the noise was up front, but I looked under the back and noticed one of the E-brake cables hanging down along with a piece of brake line. I looked at the backing plate on the driver side and then I see the wheel cylinder is on the bottom!

Anyways, I get it back home (using the E-brake still working on one wheel which worked surprisingly well) I get the drum off and see the backing plate looks like this...the inner part where it bolts to the housing was pretty rusty but I never thought it would rip off. I actually saw a few small holes in it back when I bought the truck, and I knew I should have replaced it then but I kept putting it off because of the pain of having to pull the axle (9.25), the stinky gear oil etc...Guess I should have done it sooner, and it could have been a lot worse.

Attached picture 5077379-brake3.JPG
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 02:33 AM

i've seen where the drum itself breaks...the face that bolts to the axle breaks from the drum surface that touches the brake shoe lining...
Posted By: 734x4PW

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 02:34 AM

Yea, you have rust issues up there, don't ya! Good thing you weren't in a critical situation. That might have ended up in a tragedy. Events like these give us the time to do things we need to do, don't they?

Mark

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

Yea, you have rust issues up there, don't ya! Good thing you weren't in a critical situation. That might have ended up in a tragedy. Events like these give us the time to do things we need to do, don't they?

Mark

Yeah, like I said it could have been much worse. I had brake lines bust on me on other cars before, though always on the rear for some reason? But I would usually still have some brake power...this time I had nothing, coasted right on through the stop sign.
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 03:31 AM

Good old eastern rot. Gives me nightmares just remembering working on those cars for a living.
Posted By: Mopar1

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

Yeah, like I said it could have been much worse. I had brake lines bust on me on other cars before, though always on the rear for some reason? But I would usually still have some brake power...this time I had nothing, coasted right on through the stop sign.

You might want to check your front lines too. You still should've had front braking power even though the rear failed.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 04:10 AM

Maybe it's time to CRUSH IT!
Posted By: edmopar440

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 04:18 AM

HAD SAME THING HAPPEN ON MY 89 DAKOTA WITH 300,000 MILES GOT NEW ONES FROM MOPAR AND BACK ON THE ROAD..ED

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's time to CRUSH IT!

No way, it's a good solid truck otherwise...good chassis, floors etc...the inner rockers and rear wheel wells are a little soft but no big deal.

Attached picture 5077654-w1501.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 02:15 PM

You may want to watch things a little closer,that didn't happen overnight.

Re: never had this happen before.. - 03/08/09 04:43 PM

Quote:

You may want to watch things a little closer,that didn't happen overnight.

I know what you mean but when was the last time you inspected your backing plates? Like I said, in the first post I knew it was a bit rusty and I knew I should have replaced it but I never got around to it until it broke.
© 2024 Moparts Forums