Moparts

E body variable wipers won't Park

Posted By: ragtop

E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 04:46 PM

When I turn the wipers off they stop right where they are, instead of parking themselves in the concealed position. Anyone know why?
Thanks.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 05:29 PM

I got a wife like that, I give up figuring her out and just live with it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 05:44 PM

My 1994 van wipers do the same thing (park vertical/far left).
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 06:31 PM

Jules had a video on youtube that showed how to troubleshoot that. Usually was a ground issue.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 06:55 PM

Poor ground for the motor housing. Try a jumper wire from case to battery.
Posted By: ns1aar

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/14/18 09:11 PM

Could also be the switch ground or the motor internal switch the get a little corrosion on them and cease to work.
I have a motor check document that can be used without removing the motor
Contact me if you need it.
Somerbr1@aol.com
Ns1aar.com
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/15/18 09:49 PM

Like others have noted, check condition of the various grounds. Many times with everything being painted we forget about things needing to be grounded. Also make sure your wiper switch inside the car has a good ground. With that said the problem I found with mine was inside the wiper motor. There is what amounts to a set of breaker points under the black, round cover on the wiper motor. Remove the 5 screws holding the black cover down. Note the clocking of the cover with tape or a pencil mark. Gently lift off the cover. On the underside of the cover you'll find these "breaker points". If you have a small flat file, clean the contact points. I suppose sandpaper would work as well. Reassemble the cover onto the wiper body and reinstall the screws. I did this with the wiper motor on the car. Between the grounding and cleaning the contact points, it fixed alot of problems I was having with the wiper motor, including the park feature.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: E body variable wipers won't Park - 06/16/18 02:47 AM

^^^ good info, I'm gonna open mine up!
© 2024 Moparts Forums