Moparts

72 Road Runner info

Posted By: MrMayhem

72 Road Runner info - 06/12/18 03:10 PM

So I've been out of the game for about 10 years now and I am kinda re-learning where to find my best resources. I recently picked up a very nice 72 Road Runner project (80% disassembled)
that just came off the rotisserie for paint...

Its going to be a beautiful car, Black on Black 440/auto with Slap stick, PS, PB and A/C. I intend on going 100% factor correct with the Body, trim and interior but go with a strong street 512 cu in build.

I recall back in the day being able to easily locate restoration references on the web. Maybe my memory is faulty but I cannot seem to locate much of the info I used to be able to find.

Any suggestions?

Posted By: Ron_M

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/12/18 03:16 PM

Here's a few (besides this one)of the best for reference:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

http://mymopar.com/index.php

https://forum.e-bodies.org/index.php

http://roadrunnernest.com/
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 12:07 AM

CONGRADULATIONS on your purchase.
i hope you bought with intentions to keep, because 71 and up B bodies don't get much love and don't bring high prices like the earlier ones do.

not to criticize but unless it's a GTX, 72 roadrunners didn't have 440's in them from the factory. only GTX got a 440 from the factory in 72.
hope the 72 only parts were included when you bought it, especially the complete grill.
the grills are made out of unobtainum and really nice and complete ones cost more than 71 cuda grills.
Posted By: RJS

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 02:57 AM

Good for you MrMayhem sounds like a great plan and build.
Can't go wrong with any of your idea's I followed the same path with my 72 Satellite Sebring Plus.
Ron
Posted By: RSI700VIPER

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By Mr T2U
i hope you bought with intentions to keep, because 71 and up B bodies don't get much love and don't bring high prices like the earlier ones do.

not to criticize but unless it's a GTX, 72 roadrunners didn't have 440's in them from the factory. only GTX got a 440 from the factory in 72.
hope the 72 only parts were included when you bought it, especially the complete grill.
the grills are made out of unobtainum and really nice and complete ones cost more than 71 cuda grills.

I though in 1972, the GTX was no longer it's own model, but rather a package that was added to the Roadrunner. I had both a '73 and a '74 Roadrunner with a matching numbers 440, but they both were equipped with the "GTX" package.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By RSI700VIPER
I though in 1972, the GTX was no longer it's own model, but rather a package that was added to the Roadrunner. I had both a '73 and a '74 Roadrunner with a matching numbers 440, but they both were equipped with the "GTX" package.

Yup, all had RM23 VINs for 72
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 06:48 PM

That sounds like a great car. Good luck with it. Some of the parts will be easy to find and some will take a bit of effort but it will be worth it.
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 07:01 PM

Here is another: For B Bodies Only...
Posted By: Jwilli500

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 07:09 PM

Sounds awesome! Looking forward to seeing it running around town. up
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/13/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By RSI700VIPER

you are CORRECT. i should have posted that to get a 440 in a roadrunner you had to have the GTX OPTION GROUP. not it must be a GTX to get a 440. i just worded it wrong.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 72 Road Runner info - 06/17/18 05:24 AM

you are CORRECT. i should have posted that to get a 440 in a roadrunner you had to have the GTX OPTION GROUP. not it must be a GTX to get a 440. i just worded it wrong.

It wasn't just wording that was wrong – it was factually wrong. Maybe in your head you were thinking one thing, but it came out another.

Anyway, there wasn't a GTX package. It was just a 440 option for the Road Runner, and Plymouth deemed it fit to include GTX badges.

© 2024 Moparts Forums