Moparts

Can you paint/dye a steering wheel?

Posted By: itali83

Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/07/09 08:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm changing my interior color from green to black. The factory 3 spoke steering wheel and chrome trim ring is in mint condition, just green. Is there a way or product that I can use to change it to black and not have it come off from driving or get nasty/sticky? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/07/09 10:19 PM

I painted my hard plastic `66 black one pearl white with base/urethane and it held up fine for years. Sold the car and it still looked like new.

I don`t think any kind of paint would stick to the `68 only rubber wheel.

Re: Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/08/09 12:45 AM

Mine is hard plastic so maybe theres a chance then. You must have had to scuff the plastic some to get the paint to stick?
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/08/09 12:59 AM

I painted my hard plastic steering wheel black 6 years ago and it still looks great. Scuffed it with scotch-brite, wiped it down with thinner and sprayed it with enamel.

You shouldn't have any problems.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/08/09 01:02 AM

Clean it up really good with thinner--then clean it again!

There's 40 years worth of greasy hands on that wheel.

Re: Can you paint/dye a steering wheel? - 03/08/09 01:36 AM

Sweet, thanks guys, I'll use scotch brite. I just like the stock looking wheel, I was thinking about going with a grant wood grain classic, but the factory looks better to me. I just hope my fingers don't get caught in the chrome horn button ring when I get the car crossed up and with manual steering!
© 2024 Moparts Forums