Moparts

Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close?

Posted By: Fab64

Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/25/18 04:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm adding a Sanden a/c compressor to my 440, so I'm currently mocking it up. In order to get the alternator pulley to line up with the (Bouchillon #4013) crank pulley, my alternator needs to move toward the rear, maybe 3/8" to 1/2" from where it currently is. If I do this, it will be approximate 1/8" to 3/16" from the right cylinder head. Is this too close? I'm concerned about heat damaging the alternator. Do I need to worry? Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

Roger

Attached picture IMG_9082x.JPG
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/25/18 11:23 AM

Heat won't be the problem. Adjustability and clearance for the terminals will be.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/25/18 12:05 PM

That wouldn't worry me
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/25/18 06:38 PM

Not a problem, the head only gets to 200 degrees or so.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/25/18 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By ruderunner
Heat won't be the problem. Adjustability and clearance for the terminals will be.

+1 just make sure the batt lug can't come in contact with the block if the bracket flexes under load.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/26/18 03:05 AM

& if you do ever have to space an alt forward, crank/wp shims are commonly available
Posted By: Fab64

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/26/18 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
& if you do ever have to space an alt forward, crank/wp shims are commonly available

Thanks, I was actually wondering about that today. up
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/26/18 06:58 AM

440source has nice ones for the crank (probably for the pump too) & I have used chebby ones for the pump & not sure if I had to elongate the holes or not (no iirc) & I'm sure WP pulleys for us are out there & I've even used washers tho full support is way better. finding the correct depth pulleys for alignment is a real challenge (& the ratio does come into play).
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Alternator to cylinder head: How close is too close? - 05/26/18 01:34 PM

i'd run that clearance.
© 2024 Moparts Forums