Moparts

How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb?

Posted By: Fab64

How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/21/18 02:05 AM

Hi all,

One of my idle adjustment screws was frozen in place, so I soaked it with PB Blaster. Unfortunately, I still broke it trying to get it out. panic Is there an accepted method for getting it out without damaging anything? Thanks for any suggestions.

Roger
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/21/18 02:53 AM

Check this out

Attached picture Six Pack How Too Drill idle Mixture Screws Out.jpg
Posted By: Vert

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/21/18 03:01 AM

Scott, You are worth every dime we should be paying you!
Posted By: Fab64

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/21/18 04:25 AM

Thanks very much, Scott. So, there's no problem with leaving the hole there? I suppose it will be covered by the gasket, so should not leak(?).
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/21/18 04:46 AM

Actually drilling doesn't solve the problem,the broken threaded part is the problem,still there and not easy to remove.If you try drilling,you have about one chance in ten of drilling dead center without a jig and if you don't then you end up drilling the threads.At that point the alternative is make a new insert for the base.

Attached picture PA310551.jpg
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/23/18 05:44 AM

62max has a good idea, but I actually had this problem myself about 2 yrs. ago & used Scott's drill method & a propane torch I believe and was able to get the outboard idle screw out. It may have helped that I'd only broken off half the head of the screw.

My 2-cents.... try the drill method & if that fails, go with 62max's idea. What do you have to lose?

Hey 62max....HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT NEW INSERT.... I (we) are all ears.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/23/18 02:07 PM

fortunately I had access to an EDM machine when one broke off.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/23/18 02:39 PM

I ended up doing what 62 max did. I drilled out broken screw part. Then enlarged it to 1/4" (used slight undersize ream from McMaster Carr. Inserted 1/4 aluminum rod about 1/2" if I recall. drilled and tapped for new screw. I ended up having to do all four. I had one that was ever so slightly off center, but didn't seem to affect performance. At least as good as I had the tune I could get.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/23/18 08:56 PM

A little addition if you try to remove broken screws by yourself.First thing you need to do is get rid of the old cork seal,either heat or pick it out.The seal is the creator of the problem,over the years it turns rock hard and makes removing almost impossible without breaking.If I get three sixpack set to do I can guarantee at least two broken screws minimum.Also if you choose to drill,a small end mill is almost a necessity,unless you have a perfectly flat surface to drill,the drill bit will walk and not center.Once I get them drilled,I use a small center punch with the end squared,tap it into the hole and back the screw out,picture attached.

Attached picture P5230787.JPG
Attached picture P5230789.JPG
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: How to remove broken idle adjustment screw in six-pack carb? - 05/24/18 05:28 AM

I like this drill, square punch idea.
© 2024 Moparts Forums