Moparts

Power to manual steering.

Posted By: 69B3GT

Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 04:35 AM

Ok so I have a 69 dart gt factory floor shift, the car has power steering and i was wondering if I could simply change to a manual steering box and if anything would be effected in the column. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 04:41 AM

Yes. The manual column is longer than the PS column, so you need to swap steering shafts or buy an adapter to make your PS shaft longer.

Re: Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 04:53 AM

any idea on where to buy an adapter? im building my first car and my parents cars are both originally manual steering so i thought id ask around. Thanks.

Re: Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 05:00 AM

Not cheap for what it is...

http://www.firmfeel.com/column_adapt.htm

Re: Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 05:11 AM

haha not gonna happen on my budget. sure i could save but then im that much farther from the 340 sittin in my garage...hmm power steering it is for now. Thanks ill make sure to save the link so when i can afford it.

Re: Power to manual steering. - 03/07/09 05:39 AM

Some folks drill out the plastic pins that hold the steering shaft together and extend the shaft to make the power steering shaft longer. The pins exist for safety reasons so this is not the answer. You might look around for a used manual steering shaft - sometimes they are cheap or someone may want to go power steering and swap you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums