Moparts

318 poly head HELP!

Posted By: cobiblue

318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 01:08 AM

Need to know how to remove the rocker arm shafts from a ployhead 318 I rmoved the bolts across the top but they go into and act as head bolts. do they slide out the front of the head or what? thanks Cam
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 04:03 AM

They are head bolts, and they have to come out to get the rocker shaft out.

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 04:12 AM

I took them out but it looks like the shaft goes thru cast part of the heads the shafts wont budge and I nudged them with a hammer.
Posted By: moparkid1966

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 05:46 AM

There is a pin which must be removed aswell
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 03:08 PM

IIRC the shafts are supported by stands that the bolts go thru. Just use a round bar in the bolt holes and give it a little pry. Should pop right off but they will be tight. (like main cap tight)

Kevin
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 03:33 PM

Not sure on all polys but '59 318 the head has cast pedestals that are machined so the shaft can fit in and I believe it is pinned at the ends. There are no caps on that motor to remove. As space is tight, if the shafts did need to be removed, there not coming out while in the car.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 04:25 PM

The poly head has cast pedestals that have a machined hole into which the shaft slides. There are grooves in the rocker shaft where the head bolts go through the pedestals that keep the shaft from moving. There sure as heck isn't any easy way to take them out like on the LA motors.
R.

PS: I looked in my 65 FSM because I had originally thought there were pins. But MOPAR was a company of engineers and not using a pin would save cost and machine steps.
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 10:28 PM

There`s one pin per head that has to come out first and then the shaft can slide out either end. "Slide" being the operative word and if the shafts are crudded up with hard varnish you`re in for a fight.

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 11:22 PM

So I have one bent push rod do I need to take the head off to get this changed?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/07/09 11:39 PM

I don't think so. you should be able to back out the adjuster and compress the spring a little to get it to clear one side of the rocker. It has been a while, but I remember replacing a few of them without having to unbolt anything.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/08/09 12:36 AM

I stand corrected. The day wasn't a waste after all. I learned something.

Kevin
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 318 poly head HELP! - 03/08/09 07:43 PM

Well my FSM doesn't mention pins, they may still be there, though. I have removed pushrods by sliding a rocker arm over against the spring that holds it im proper location on the shaft. Then you pull the pushrod out.
Getting the rocker shaft out I never did because it was going to run into sheetmetal.
R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums