Moparts

Sun guage calibration

Posted By: jake4cars

Sun guage calibration - 05/15/18 02:02 AM

I bought an NOS Sun 2 5/8" 0-260° mechanical water temperature gauge from ebay that came with no mechanical sending unit. I purchased a sending unit from a guy who swore his was the only one that works, hmmm, unfortunately it doesn't, does anyone know of a shop that can help.

Thanks guys!
Joey
Posted By: moparx

Re: Sun guage calibration - 05/15/18 03:16 PM

are you sure you have a mechanical gage ? in my lifetime, all the "mechanical" water temperature gages made have had a capillary tube that was filled with a substance that expanded when warm, thus moving the gage pointer. if/when this tube is cut, the gage is useless, and can only be repaired by a restorer that specializes in this field. it almost always is cheaper to just buy another aftermarket water temperature gage than get it restored. all electrical gages use sender units that are calibrated to whatever ohm measurement the gage needs to function with, and the sending unit is connected to the gage with a wire. is this the type of gage you have ? if so, the sending unit could be bad, or maybe just the wrong one for your gage, no matter what the seller stated.
beer
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Sun guage calibration - 05/15/18 06:11 PM

My mistake, you are correct, as usual my mind was wandering when I wrote the post.

It is an electric guage, the problem is I do not have any sending unit,the one I did find was not accurate, possible bad gauge even though it's new?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Sun guage calibration - 05/16/18 01:57 PM

does the gage work at all ?
beer
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: Sun gauge calibration - 05/16/18 06:59 PM

I got a new one (not NOS, he makes them) 8 years ago from Corvette Instrument Service. Works perfectly with the Sun blueline 260 degree elec gauge. Accurate readings vs. IR Thermometer.

Corvette Instrument Service
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Sun gauge calibration - 05/16/18 09:48 PM

It seems that everyone with that Sun gauge has the sender problem and the $140 solution is the only one out there. I can't believe that someone hasn't used a resistance box and figured out what the resistance range is on that gauge.
Posted By: Dogpro

Re: Sun gauge calibration - 05/18/18 11:33 PM

Contact Shannon @ redline gauge works I ask him if he could convert one to work off of a standard sender and he said yes but I never followed up for a price. Hope this helps
Posted By: therocks

Re: Sun gauge calibration - 05/19/18 01:29 PM

A few years ago I sold my almost NOS sender for my Sun temp gauge.It went for close to 280 bucks.The gauge sold for 150.The sun senders for them hasnt been made in years.I did have the part number somewhere as I used to look for the senders at meets.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums