Moparts

Tie Rod taper

Posted By: Fishmarket

Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 01:21 AM

Does anyone know what the tie rod taper is in degrees for our old moparts? I’m trying to adapt a bump steer kit to my 1970 duster and need to know if one of the available kits could made to work or if I need to ream the lower ball joints. I read somewhere that pinto tie rods had the same angle, I believe 7.15* , but I’m not positive and can’t seem to find anything on the google machine.
Thx
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 03:01 AM

Worst case you might get one of our tie rods & the furd one at your parts house & compare em on the counter.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 06:05 AM

I believe the degrees of tapper is 7*. When I redid the tapper on a set of steering arms on an old truck, I just used a tapper deburr cutter on a die grinder and removed the material slowly until the tie rod end fit tightly and the nut would tighten without bottoming out. You just need to tapper the hole enough to get the cotter key in when the nut is tight. Its not like it can fall out or wobble around (unless to get carried away). Gene
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 06:38 AM

Taper.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 07:08 AM

Speedway Motors have what you need. yes it is the same as an old 70's mustangII pinto
Posted By: dvw

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 01:54 PM

I have the Mustang II 7 degree on my 64. You may have to grind the bottom of steering arm. On mine the hex at the bottom of the tapered adapter contacted the arm before the taper was seated. We cut the original tie rod sleeves in half. These were welded to 5/8" threaded tube. The tube threads on the high misalignment hiems. All parts came from Speedway.
Doug
Posted By: Fishmarket

Re: Tie Rod taper - 04/28/18 04:01 PM

Awesome, thanks a bunch!
© 2024 Moparts Forums