Moparts

Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt?

Posted By: CrAlt

Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 06:54 AM

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

Summit SUM-812108

Right now i have the stock 1969 single field alt system in my coronet. It works great but i have nothing extra in the car.

This spring i want to put a kilowatt worth of subs in the trunk and upgrade the sound system.
I also have a MSD system and electric fans waiting.

I know the stock alt wont take all this.

I was looking in to upgrading to a 120 amp Denso alt out of a Ram but came accross this mopar alt in summit.

Has anyone tryed it?
How does it work at idle?

Thanks.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 12:38 PM

I bought a Powermaster 1 wire at Summit and it works great (75 amps).I don't think the Summit was available when I bought mine. If you are putting a bunch of heavy draw electronics in the trunk, I would think you will need at leat a 100 amp alt.
Posted By: ridin98ci

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 03:41 PM

I have the powermaster also....two years no problems

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 06:17 PM

how does it do at idle?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 07:06 PM

What about this one? Cheaper than the Powermaster, more amps. Also availible in double pulley.

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/06/09 09:17 PM

Quote:

What about this one? Cheaper than the Powermaster, more amps. Also availible in double pulley.

I worry that it suffers from the same drawbacks that the normal bigger mopar alts suffer from. Crappy idle performance.

For that same price i could get a denso kit.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/08/09 12:38 AM

Is there a limit to how many amps you can run with stock dash wiring harness? Do you need a different voltage regulator?

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/08/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

Is there a limit to how many amps you can run with stock dash wiring harness? Do you need a different voltage regulator?

Yes. Its only 40 or 60amps.

...i have my alt wired right to the battery so it bi-passes the amp gauge. Even with the stock alt this helped things alot.
Posted By: hemibeep

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/08/09 03:06 AM

Did you add a direct wire to the battery, and leave the amp setup, or completely skip the alt gauge. I thought the alt gauge powered other "stuff" under the dash?

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/08/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

Did you add a direct wire to the battery, and leave the amp setup, or completely skip the alt gauge. I thought the alt gauge powered other "stuff" under the dash?

Just added the heavy wire with a 40amp fuse. From the B+ on the alt to the POS side of the battery. No other changes. Everything works like normal but my alt gauge no longer moves much (because most of the current is flowing through my new wire).

I had a little over 1 volt worth of voltage drop with the 40 y/o stock wiring.
Posted By: ridin98ci

Re: Any1 running the Summit 1 wire 60 amp alt? - 03/08/09 06:00 AM

It does just fine....I also have NO power accessories....so make up your own mind but I like it a lot....I just wish it wasn't chrome....
© 2024 Moparts Forums