Moparts

New Floor Finishing - Suggestions

Posted By: BPBP440

New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/27/18 01:51 AM

Struggling with how to finish off the underside of my newly installed full floor pan in a B-Body.

I have no plans of prepping it for a body color finish and need to be able to spray, likely from a buzz bomb, with the car on jack stands. Undercoating, chassis black, etc.??

Thoughts?

Thanks-
Posted By: Neil

Re: New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/27/18 03:42 AM

Instead of low quality rattle can paint you can epoxy prime and paint the bottom with good car paint using a disposable Preval sprayer (around $8.00 +/-). The bottle will leak if you tilt it back too far so put something down to protect the floor if you try it.

If your after originality the correct color is whatever color gray/black primer the car was dipped in. That can be found on the firewall above the carpet line or behind a door panel about halfway up. If the car was undercoated then put more on over on over the top of the primer and paint.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/27/18 04:46 PM

My 70 sport satellite was factory undercoated . . . so when I had it done, the front floor pans and trunk was painted black first, then I laid underneath the car, with it on jack stands, and used truck bed liner as under coat . . .
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/27/18 05:41 PM

IMHO the epoxy primer is the best first step. It sticks, primes and seals. Whatever you put on over (under) it is mainly to protect the epoxy primer.

Bedliner would seem to be a decent topcoat.

R.
Posted By: ahy

Re: New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/28/18 03:03 AM

I used red Rustoleum primer then Rustoleum satin black. Has held up well. I brushed mine but red primer and satin black are available in rattle can also.
Posted By: moparx

Re: New Floor Finishing - Suggestions - 04/28/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By ahy
I used red Rustoleum primer then Rustoleum satin black. Has held up well. I brushed mine but red primer and satin black are available in rattle can also.

plus, the rustoleum spray bombs work in any position. the only drawback is the time it takes to fully cure. sometime weeks depending on temperature conditions.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums