Moparts

Mystery hole in intake

Posted By: jeebis44

Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 05:32 AM

Does anyone know what this hole is in the bottom of my Edelbrock DP4B intake manifold is? What does it do and should it be plugged? It doesn't appear to lead anywhere...

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 05:39 AM

I would make a air pressure test with a air hose nozzle and see if that hole goes into the heat cross over passage in the bottom of that manifold, if it blows out the sides have that hole welded shut, if not don't worry about it work twocents

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 06:25 AM

The plot thickens... So there is a mystery tube involved here, which runs inside the exhaust crossover cavity and exits from the top of the manifold.
i
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 06:36 AM

Heat source for automatic choke. Surely some of you remember automatic chokes on cars.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By John Brown
Heat source for automatic choke. Surely some of you remember automatic chokes on cars.

DING DING DING

yep. unhooked many of those heat tubes from carbs

no need to weld it shut.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By scratchnfotraction
Originally Posted By John Brown

DING DING DING

yep. unhooked many of those heat tubes from carbs

no need to weld it shut.

iagree but to be on the safe side, air check it like cab said. you never know the complete history of any "old" part. if it does leak into the crossover, you can also tap that hole[or both] to a "xxx" fine thread, then use a short "button head" screw to plug it instead of welding.
beer
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 03:52 PM

What about the one on the bottom? Is it possibly an EGR port?

Joe

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By jlatessa
What about the one on the bottom? Is it possibly an EGR port?

Joe

NO, this is a hole on each side with a steel tube inside connecting the 2 openings.

egr gasses will heat the tube and the air inside of it to heat the choke thermo spring.

idea is.. as the air inside the tube heats is rises to top of tube to carb choke housing connection. cool air flowing under intake is sucked up into tube and heated.

good idea to air check for leaks though. I have saw them with holes the tube from rust.

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 04:15 PM

How in the heck did the factory put a steel tube through those holes, they aren't even close to lining up??

Not something I've seen before...

Joe
Posted By: Michael Ecks

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 04:56 PM

my LD340 has one as well. The steel tube was probably set in place in the empty mold and the aluminum poured in later casting itself around the tubing.

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/26/18 09:38 PM

Aha!! we have a winner!!

Joe

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/27/18 03:39 PM

correct, during the casting process, pre-bent tube and positioned in the sand mold then cast.

not too bad as I have never saw one with casting shift enough to leak.

I have had to do some good amount of porting to correct casting shift flaws on intakes.

maybe QC inspect and they catch it before hand and melt/re-cast it.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 04/29/18 03:54 PM

The bottom hole is the intake port for the heated choke which draws a slight vacuum to pull the heated air through.

Re: Mystery hole in intake - 05/01/18 04:34 AM

Mystery solved - thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums