Moparts

clutch problem on 68 rr

Posted By: fpmopar

clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 04:27 AM

i recently replaced clutch in a 68 rr 11inch, when clutch was pushed in all the way, the 3 fingers touched on the springs of the disc. so i replaced the pressure plate with diaphram type pressure plate, now the t.o. brng. is touching the pressure plate. Free play is 1 inch or so? any ideas are all t.o. brngs. the same for 23 spline trans?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 06:54 AM

Disc is too thick. You may need to shim the pressure plate or get a thinner disc.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Disc is too thick. You may need to shim the pressure plate or get a thinner disc.

Or the disk is in backwards
Posted By: NANKET

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 07:24 AM

Can't get disc in backwards, won't fit.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By NANKET
Can't get disc in backwards, won't fit.

Then why did my McLeod clutch disks come with a sticker on them that said "engine side" ?

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 06:10 PM

I cant be held responsible for that sticker.

Try to put one in backwards and let us know what happens.
Posted By: therocks

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 06:55 PM

It will go in backwards.Wont work.But it will bolt in.Rocky
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/26/18 10:24 PM

Depends on the diameter of the recess in the flywheel where the bolts reside, if the diameter of the recess is large enough the disc can be installed backwards...thus the printed warning.

On most Mopars and on most discs the spring hub is too large to fit in the flywheel recess.

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/27/18 12:07 AM

These are 11" parts. Disc hub sticks out further on one side, this side goes to the rear. Place the disc on the flywheel backwards with bolts installed and spinning it finds the springs of the disc hitting the bolt heads. Disc will not lay down flat on the flywheel. Can't imagine the noise this would cause, and destroy the hub in seconds.

Why the sticker? To reduce warranty claims and reduce calls to the tech line.

It all seems so easy on the bench, but laying under the car cold and wet can cause many problems.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/28/18 03:45 AM

I've seen this before when the flywheel has been cut too thin.
It might be time for a new flywheel shruggy

Gus beer
Posted By: rarefish

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/28/18 03:30 PM

I had the same problem with a clutch that I bought for my 69 Dart. The fingers also hit the springs in the disc when I pushed the clutch pedal all the way down.

I too was told by many that I must have installed the disc in backwards, but I found out that would have been impossible as the disc hub would not fit into the recess of the fly wheel.

I took the clutch back out and measured the static height of the pressure plate and found that it was set too low for the thickness of the disc that came in the clutch kit.

The pictures show the difference in the clutch plate height that I had when comparing the new pressure plate to the old one I took out.

Attached picture Pressure Plate 1.jpg
Attached picture Pressure Plate 2.jpg
Posted By: dan9

Re: clutch problem on 68 rr - 04/29/18 06:52 PM

I had the same problem with a new McCleod setup. McCleod sent me a new one. They are aware of this problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums