Moparts

383 build need to use adjustable rockers

Posted By: Tommy The Chryco

383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/23/18 12:14 PM

But i want to keep the stock look. Any suggestions for what rockers i should purchase.
Posted By: carter

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/23/18 04:18 PM

Crane or Isky mek rocker fit under a stock valvecover.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/23/18 06:36 PM

Ductile iron rockers as already mentioned, you may need to dimple, bend or put holes in the baffles to clear them depending on which cam and lift scope
You can also double up a set of the thicker after market valve cover gaskets to clear them also, sometimes that works but not always scope shruggy
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/23/18 10:12 PM

Isky iron adjustable rockers hit the baffles on my stock 1969 valve covers with a .525" solid lift cam. If your lift is significantly less, those rockers might not hit, but the if the same or higher, they will probably hit.

beer
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/24/18 12:05 AM

The Crane adjustibles are actually thinner at the valve tip than the Iskys. Mine fit fine with the Mopar .557
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/24/18 12:15 AM

It is usually the adjuster end tip that hits the baffles on stock covers, if you use a shorter pushrod you can help those clearances a little as long as you don't get the adjuster to far out work scope
I have massaged whistling more than one stock baffle, I have also removed them which I shouldn't have tsk realcrazy
Posted By: ahy

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/24/18 02:19 AM

I used Comp "pro magnum" cast alloy steel rockers. Pushrods were set so about 1 1/2 threads showed... as desired. Geometry was good. I did use MP cast Al black valve covers. I do not know if these have more or less clearance vs stock covers.
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/24/18 03:38 AM

This is puzzling me right now. My current motor has Isky rockers & with a 292/509 Mopar purple shaft cam I hit the baffles. I removed the baffles and I'm sucking oil through the PCV valve. I added a slightly modified compressor air/water separator, but I really need to get baffles back in the valve covers.

The double gasket idea sounds like a really good one.

I've got some "truck" big block valve covers I could use, but I'm not sure if the baffles are any higher up even though valve covers are slightly taller.

I have no idea which adjustables are "low profile". I will be watching this thread closely.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 383 build need to use adjustable rockers - 04/24/18 04:02 AM

I've used Crane iron, Isky iron, Crane alum., and Comp Magnums with .500 to .630 lift with stock valve covers. Slight baffle tweaking, but never removed any.
© 2024 Moparts Forums