Moparts

How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function?

Posted By: Dixie

How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 06:20 AM

Like the title says, is there a way to test a sure-grip unit to see if it's functioning properly? Yeah, I know you can do burnouts and look at the black marks. I'm asking about actually testing it to see if it's working as it should.

Thanks!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 06:42 AM

Block one wheel so it can't turn and use a beam torque wrench on the other side to see how much torque it takes to turn the axle. If it takes 100 ft. lbs. or more to turn the axle the unit is good.

Might have to get creative to figure how to turn the axle with the torque wrench.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 02:40 PM

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 03:43 PM

I have to go with bad340fish on this one....much easier and a lot more fun.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 06:58 PM

That picture looks like a RIGHT hand drive car.

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 08:54 PM

The reason I'm asking is I hammered the car and it only left a one legger. I bought the Dana used 10+ years ago and didn't check it prior to installation. I'm wondering if it's time for a rebuild.

Thanks John, I'll see what I can rig up. 100 ft lbs sounds kinda light. Not that I'm any sort of expert.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 09:00 PM

100 ft. lbs. would be the minimum, the good ones I've tested held tight at 150 ft. lbs.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By Dixie
The reason I'm asking is I hammered the car and it only left a one legger. I bought the Dana used 10+ years ago and didn't check it prior to installation. I'm wondering if it's time for a rebuild.

Thanks John, I'll see what I can rig up. 100 ft lbs sounds kinda light. Not that I'm any sort of expert.

It needs a rebuild.

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/22/18 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By Dixie

It needs a rebuild.

that's what I'm thinking, just want to be sure.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: How to test the sure-grip unit in a DANA 60 for function? - 04/23/18 01:06 AM

I would say it might not even be a sure-grip shruggy Just grab a ratchet and pull the cover because you're gonna need to know what you have for the re-build anyway twocents

Take you less than 10 minutes wrench

Gus beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums