Moparts

Air conditioning compressor ideas

Posted By: hemi68charger

Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/08/18 01:39 AM

Hey gang..
In my future there is possibly a triple black '70 Road Runner, 383 pistol-grip 4speed with a/c. The car has a 440 in it now. I was thinking of putting my six pack set up on it along with a complete air grabber hood assembly. As we all know, the factory RV2 compressor is too big for the base plate for either a fresh-air or 6 barrel set up. I was toying with one of the later model rotary compressors, but that seems to create a very busy engine compartment. I could have swore I once saw a '70 Challenger at a show a long time ago that has a compressor under the alternator. This was facilitated with the use of an electric fuel pump and the elimination of the mechanical pump. I think this would be a very cool combination on a '70 Road Runner.

Ideas?
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/08/18 02:30 AM

http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/467/571
Posted By: CSK

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/08/18 03:08 AM

I have the Sanden, with factory style hoses with R134a compatible rubber hose upgrade, will freeze you out.

Attached picture 18557011_1387611544630884_2624629032018443781_n123.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/08/18 04:44 AM

Troy,years ago Direct Connection had this air cleaner available to cleared the RV2 compressor,still have it.

Attached picture Picture 311.jpg
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/08/18 01:57 PM

we make a serpentine belt kit that move the alternator up where the ac compressor goes and the ac compressor down where the alternator was. we also have an ultra low mount kit in the works that put the ac under the alternator. check out our facebook page and website.

kits prices what changed, complete kit with all accessories start about $1000 including all accessories

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/09/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Troy,years ago Direct Connection had this air cleaner available to cleared the RV2 compressor,still have it.

Thanks all.........

Hey there Bill,
Thanks for the reply... Let me think if I want the compressor on top or hidden under the alternator...

Hope you've been well..........

Troy
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/09/18 05:16 PM

I too run a triple black six pack and aftermarket A/C. I used the Bouchillon under alternator bracket, but modified it to change the belt paths to gain more belt wrap around the pulleys.

The new routing uses one belt from the crank to the A/C compressor, and a separate belt from the A/C compressor to the beefed up CS140 alternator. My power steering belt goes from the crank to the water pump and then to the power steering pump.

Most people never know it has A/C while looking under the hood.

Attached picture IMG_2601.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2602.JPG
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/09/18 10:10 PM

The under alternator mounts are pretty slick. Saw one where the guy did such a nice job of routing his aftermarket hoses that you had to look close before noticing the car had a/c.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/10/18 03:43 PM

I also want to put new style a.c. on 71 440 6 pack charger.(clone) I don't want anything up front on top of the motor. Want it bolted down under the alt. Don't know which sanden pump to use
Will be using a v belt style. And if I can't find a bracket setup I like il make my own
I don't want to see the pump at all
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/10/18 04:30 PM

Anybody ever tried one of these? Jeg's electric A/C compressor?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;storeId=10001
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/10/18 05:14 PM

The Sanden compressor is nicknamed "the Shorty". Buschillion carries them. I bought my condenser, receiver dryer and some hardlines used between the two from Nostalgic Air in Florida.

Nostalgic Air has great customer service and tech help, plus their prices are better than most. I also bought my R-134 specific condenser from them. It fills my entire radiator opening, and I sealed it along all the edges, so all the air has to go through it and pass through the radiator.

I used the GenV in car kit from VintageAir. It is a nice kit.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/10/18 11:57 PM

If not looking for factory, then Sanden and be done.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 05:29 AM

I considered the low mount for my car BUT I read several instances where there was extensive belt squeal! The low mount usually means one drive belt. JBC must have known this going in....what other reason would you have 2 belts to drive it?

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 04:03 PM

here is an ultra low mount kit we are working on, it should be completing testing in the next month.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208340133233229&set=pcb.1345983338748340&type=3
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 04:38 PM

Jerry, link did not work for me, Facebook says:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
Posted By: moparx

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 05:02 PM

jerry, do you have a link for those of us that don't do facepage ? TIA.
beer

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 07:33 PM

here are the two low mount kits we offer. both can be had for about $1000,

Attached picture ultra low mount.jpg
Attached picture Picture10.jpg
Posted By: rapom

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/11/18 10:59 PM

I did what jbc426 did and bought the bouchillon low mount kit and rerouted the belts and have had no problems going on 6 years now. I even ran a gm based powermaster alt. which works nicely with the kit.

Attached picture IMG_0752.JPG
Posted By: RROD

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/12/18 03:38 AM

Did you have to eliminate the mechanical fuel pump? Any squeal issue?

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/12/18 05:20 AM

for the ultra low mount yes we got rid of the mechanical fuel pump. and there are no squeal issues. the spring loaded tensioner keeps everything playing nicely
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/12/18 03:29 PM

Why do they run the alternator off the a/c compressor instead of shimming it and using a crank pulley with an extra groove so it gets its own belt?

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/12/18 08:20 PM

They were probably trying to keep everything tight. I didn’t like the way they routed the belts because there wasn’t a lot of contact on the pulleys. Jcb426 or some member showed me how rerouting the belts would work better. Here are some better pics. I had to find the right waterpump pulley from a friend that had a hoard of pulleys to make it work.

Attached picture DEE266E3-1CD9-48C5-B524-D7BEEB10FC31.jpeg
Attached picture F907AE90-1873-4D3B-9108-BA2E6A1C335A.jpeg
Attached picture ED51BF91-16A0-4F82-AAA1-63B682F5FE12.jpeg

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/14/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By rapom
I did what jbc426 did and bought the bouchillon low mount kit and rerouted the belts and have had no problems going on 6 years now. I even ran a gm based powermaster alt. which works nicely with the kit.

I dig your setup... If you don't mind, might reach out to you later once I get the Road Runner and start tinkering with it.. I will be putting the six pack set up on the car with the Fresh-Air hood set, so I like the compressor hidden so the top of the engine compartment isn't so cluttered....

Oh, I see you're a golf course Super? I remember my high school and post-high school days working ground maintenance... Pretty cool job from the traps to the fairway mowing... But, knew I needed to go to college eventually.. But, had to do the Air Force first.. Worked on a top-100 Nicklaus course in West Palm Beach....

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/15/18 03:46 PM

That ultra low setup. Can be had v belt? Offer just the bracket/s to mount the pump?
Thanks in advance

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/15/18 06:10 PM

yes I can sell just the brackets. but you'd lose out on all the modern accessories as well as the belt tensioner.

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/15/18 08:20 PM

I don't want the modern accessories or belt tensioner. Just looking for a mounting bracket...depending on what just that alone would cost

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/16/18 09:55 PM

i'd sell just the brackets. won't have anyway to adjust the belt tension. we would have to design that in and modify the brackets so that at least something is slotted.

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/17/18 12:49 PM

No problem, I have better pictures on another computer that I can get to you if needed. I’m still working at golf courses but only part time now. Enjoy every minute of it.

Re: Air conditioning compressor ideas - 04/17/18 10:28 PM

Oh. I did not know the bracket it's self did not have a slot for and kind of adjustment. Guiess I was thinking more of how a alt. Would be and adjusted
© 2024 Moparts Forums