Moparts

Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust?

Posted By: chicagotim2003

Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/26/18 07:16 PM

I have a 73 challenger with 440/ 727

The headers that are on it now are at least 25 years old. Leaks all over the place.

Straight pipes into mufflers with turn downs before axle.

I want to replace the entire system .

Who makes a good kit. Gaskets and fasteners ? Mufflers?

The car is more or a driver than show car.

My current headers have been on so long I'm worried about breaking the bolts off in the heads . Any tips?

How much $ for the whole deal ?

As always , thank you for the help😀
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/26/18 10:36 PM

Shop around twocents scope
How much can you do yourself? Check with Hedmans racing site and Speedway,Spin Tech, Summit and so on up
I've bought two 3.0 A body (1967to1976)and two 3.5 inch 1962 to 1970 B body header back Summit kits so far, they fit and work well up The B body kits don't come with mufflers also shruggy
IHTHs thumbs
Posted By: topside

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/27/18 01:37 AM

Many choices, depends in part on wallet & what you're after as far as fit (PS, 4-speed), how stock, how loud.
You generally get what you pay for on headers as far as fit & finish & longevity.
Accurate makes nice stock-replacement exhaust.
TTI makes full systems, I believe.
The cheapest headers are cheapest not only in price but also materials, but may suit your purpose.
As for leaks, I always cut the excess flange material at the head away; keeps the flanges from warping, allows better plug access, often better wire clearance, and looks more professional.
There's a set of Hookers on my old Hemi RR that I installed in 1988, still no leaks. The set of Stahls on my SB racecar have been on it since the mid-70s. I'm also a fan of H or X pipes. For a street car with a 3" exhaust, I've found that 2.5" tailpipes are somewhat quieter.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/27/18 02:05 AM

I run a TTI system on a '70 E with low deck BB (15+ years). Good parts and fit as advertised. I used the whole system. Headers, X pipe, mufflers, tailpipes and cast stainless tips for a '70 Challenger.

I used ceramic coated headers... inside and out. They control underhood heat well. I ran the car IL to CA and back including desert crossings and no heat issues (or any other to speak of).

The headers & pipes have been crunched a couple of times by mid-west spring roads. I clean and touch up the bottoms with aluminum paint and carry on. No leaks caused by crunches. I do use high temp RTV instead of gaskets at the flanges after gasket issues at 3-5k miles. The RTV has been trouble free. Thick (and straight) flanges on TTI's take the RTV well. With no gasket, there is nothing to blow out.

The TTI system is not cheap but it is good. I got my setup from Mancini who did take a return w/o issue on the mufflers when I ordered them wrong.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/27/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By chicagotim2003
As always

Powder-coated Hookers behind a 440...

Surfaced the flanges...

Mandrel-bent aluminized Walker 'pipes' with balance tube...

Two-chamber Flowmasters...

Other than a little touch-up on the welds, still looks new...

I've touched-up the Hooker's...

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/27/18 03:15 PM

I've had good luck with Heddman & Hooker headers, but TTI appears to be the most popular these days. Unless you race, you're probably just fine with 1-3/4" primary tubes.

Mufflers are a sound decision in my mind. I've ran cherry bombs (& lost some hearing), Flowmasters & "Hush Thrush" turbos (not very "hush"). I know run stock-style Walkers with stock size tail pipes & like that I can now hear the radio...but that's a personal choice. I believe for street-legal, the exhaust has to exit from beneath the car & behind the driver, though Illinois doesn't do safety inspections. "Pigtail" exhaust like that is still pretty loud since it exits right by your ears...much quieter out the back. Your choice.
Posted By: nd65

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/28/18 04:06 PM

Chicago Connection has free shipping on TTI.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/28/18 06:40 PM

TTI, period!
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By lewtot184
TTI, period!

up iagree
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 11:31 AM

Does your budget allow TTI headers? I see Summit and Jegs have their house brand exhaust systems and their priced right. Pypes brand exhaust is priced great too. probably the ones who make the Summit/Jegs brand. I have zero experience with Hedman Elite series headers but the Elites are made from heavier gauge steel than their less expensive more common counterparts.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 11:47 AM

TTi or Dougs is a toss up. I got mine thermal coated, used Remflex gaskets, and Stage8.com fasteners.
Posted By: topside

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 06:35 PM

Just noticed yesterday that the combination of TTI headers & 3" exhaust, Flowmasters, and SS springs, are a tight fit to the driveshaft on a BB Duster: 1/2" clearance at ride height between front inner corners of mufflers and driveshaft. Interference seems pretty certain with rear suspension rise/droop.
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 06:42 PM

I used a TTI set with an H-pipe on a 74 B-body. Besides having a perfect fit, the H-pipe keeps the drive shaft in place when I loose a U-joint.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 09:18 PM

have two sets of TTI's on two cars. one an exhaust manifold '69 b-body and fit is good. the other a '65 b-body with 2" headers and 3" h-pipe exhaust. the big stuff on the '65 actually fits perfect with no interference anywhere. i'd buy their stuff again in a heart beat.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Suggestions / new 440 headers and exhaust? - 03/29/18 09:59 PM

All TTI,wouldn't have anything else.

Attached picture Picture 094.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums