Moparts

4 speed center console

Posted By: Moneypit6

4 speed center console - 03/20/18 02:43 PM

I have a 70 Roadrunner 4 spd that I have on a rotisserie. It's not a center console car but I want to add one. I can find pieces of consoles being made all over the place. Lights, here, body there, bezel there, lid there, dust boot here. Does anyone sell the complete console besides having to buy up all the pieces that may not fit together?? wrench
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/20/18 07:16 PM

Probably not, or you would have found them work shruggy
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/20/18 09:06 PM

Your best bet is finding a used or restored set up. This is a big $$ upgrade for these cars. You will likely spend $2-3K to get all of the correct parts for the conversion:

$150 for floor brackets
$500-$800 for shifter handle
$1000-$1500 for all console parts
$100 for wiring

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/20/18 10:54 PM

That's what I was afraid of. It may be the parts are kept separate to keep prices up. whiney Still, seems like someone selling all components that fit together would have some sales!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/21/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By Moneypit6
That's what I was afraid of. It may be the parts are kept separate to keep prices up. whiney Still, seems like someone selling all components that fit together would have some sales!

I think if someone pieced together a "complete" console the sticker shock from the price tag would make it a hard to sale item, your best off sourcing the parts, new/repro/used piece by piece... I pieced together my console set up with a combo of new and used, looking for the best pieces at the lowest prices I could find, I probably have no more than $500 in the complete console, I paid $25 for a complete Automatic console (sweet swapmeet score) that yielded me a nice console door, end plates, lights and luckily the wire harness was with it, I paid $150 for the 4spd plate as it had damaged top plates, they're just sheetmetal easily fabricated, everyone at the swapmeet passed on it, the chrome was very nice, easy score for me, the boot was repro, repro 4spd side carpet plate (the backing board for the carpet), repro wood grain decal, console brackets from and automatic car for like $20 at a swapmeet (my car was a column auto) a little elbow grease, paint, spray dye (console was F8 I guess nobody wanted it?) the shifter, that's a Keisler/TKO reproduction shifter on top of a TKO600 5 spd... but if you shop around you could find a new repro 70 console stick for $300 give or take a few bucks...the actual shifter box will cost you, depending on what you use, new, aftermarket, rebuilt, etc...

So don't let the "high" price of the 70 4spd B body console get you down, spend some time looking around, otherwise open the wallet and dump about $2K on a complete repro console top to bottom

here's my 70 Charger 4spd set up

Attached picture chargerinterior1.jpg
Attached picture chargerinterior11.jpg
Posted By: djenkins83

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/21/18 03:12 AM

https://vansauto.com/product/69-70-b-body-4-speed-console-assembly/

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/21/18 05:36 PM

Thanks for the link.

Not sure I can get to the swap meets but I can try. It always seems like the swap meet thing has to be an obsession unless you are incredibly lucky and hit the right time. You never know.

It's a 4 speed car. I think the shifter is the same but levers are different length on the trans depending on your shift handle (length).
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/21/18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By Moneypit6
Thanks for the link.

Not sure I can get to the swap meets but I can try. It always seems like the swap meet thing has to be an obsession unless you are incredibly lucky and hit the right time. You never know.

It's a 4 speed car. I think the shifter is the same but levers are different length on the trans depending on your shift handle (length).

You will only need the new shifter handle. Shifter assembly and rods are the same for console & non-console applications.
Posted By: charge70

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/21/18 10:59 PM

Don't forget the 4 speed only left side chrome trim.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/24/18 10:04 PM

Also when going from none console to console the boot for the floor hump is different.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/25/18 03:12 AM

I was going to post an ebay link, but it is a link to Vans Auto. Lol.

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/29/18 05:29 AM

Yes, I understand there are 2 boots used on the consoles, bottom and top. Hopefully the rubber in both boots doesn't want to push the shifter back to neutral smile
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/29/18 09:48 AM

The floor hump boots are different between the non console on the left vs the console on the right.

Attached picture 1 70 non console & console boots.PNG
Posted By: LYMGTX

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/29/18 06:16 PM

Hello Moneypit6. I have some misc console parts: both side lights/lenses, the chrome back plate. Maybe another piece or two but I'll have to check. Message me and I'll send you my phone number and we can discuss. I'll let them go cheap as i don't need them and hopefully it will help you out.
Thanks! LYMGTX
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/30/18 05:37 AM

Do console A Bodies use a floor hump boot? I know there is one mounted under the console top plate but is there also one used on the hump?
Posted By: karengarneau

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/30/18 01:33 PM

Yes the abody 4 spd console uses two rubber boots. The one on the floor hump is the same as non console. They just didn't get a chrome trim ring. That's what I remember if my memory serves me correctly.
Posted By: GKMOPAR

Re: 4 speed center console - 03/31/18 07:38 AM

I assumed They Would. I have a 68 GTS 4 spd console and the lower boot is missing. I wanted to put one on it but did not know what I should use. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums