Moparts

Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please...

Posted By: Kern Dog

Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/15/18 05:27 AM

* With points type ignitions, does the black wire from the distributor connect to the NEG side of the coil?

* On applications using a 2 prong ballast resistor, can a 4 prong resistor be substituted if a 2 prong is not available? I'm wondering if one spade from each side would work.
I rarely have worked on points type cars, only the factory electronics or a converted car.
Thank you.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/15/18 05:32 AM

Yes, on the black wire. I've never worked on a car with the four-pin ballast, but my understanding is that it is just two separate resistors in one package. Each resistor has a different resistance. I believe you would want to use the one with the least resistance.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/15/18 02:42 PM

Quote:
I believe you would want to use the one with the least resistance.
Correct, use the lengthwise pair that has the least resistance. Last one I checked had 1.6 ohms on that side. I'd start with a .017" gap/lube the cam sparingly/clean the surfaces with contact cleaner/brake kleen. confirm the dist upper shaft radial play is acceptable.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/15/18 07:08 PM

yes and yes, and as mentioned, use the lower resistor path on the 4 prongs one ( usually they are on 1 to 1.5 ohms rate ). The higher resiostor path is around 4.5 to 5 ohms

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/15/18 11:05 PM

& you can parallel connect both sides & see what you get. one end is already (OE) jumped across sideways with the blue loop of wire & do the same to the other end then see what you get & my last one was 1.1 ohms & whether this lower amt will work for you depends on the quality of the point set & the coil pri ohms you are useing (post what you are useing). As you know lower, gives a hotter spark/less longevity (& vice versa).
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/16/18 12:31 AM

Thanks. I would only use the 4 prong if I did not have the correct 2 prong one nearby. The MSD ballast with the Blaster 2 coil was .06 ohms.

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/16/18 12:34 AM

If the recommended MSD ballast is 0.06 ohms then I would definitely parallel the 4 prong as you will be above that. Question, is MSD saying the blaster 2 coil/0.06 ohm ballast will work fine with points?
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Just a couple of simple electrical questions, please... - 03/16/18 12:41 AM

good question.

Use the recommended resistance based on the type of ignition system this is for. If its a points triggering an MSD or such, it will be different than running points that are carrying the coil's primary current.
© 2024 Moparts Forums