Moparts

Big Block flex plate

Posted By: barracudabob

Big Block flex plate - 03/14/18 04:59 AM

I want to replace the flex plate on my '76 440. This is an externally balanced engine, and has a weight on the converter. Looking at B&M's website, they show one for an externally balanced big block, PN 10237. It has a scallop on one side. When using this flex plate, do I need the weight on the converter as well, or can any converter without the weight be used? Thanks in advance, Bob
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Big Block flex plate - 03/14/18 05:21 AM

The scallop is there to compensate for the engine balance factor. In other words, the B&M flexplate allows you to use any neutral balance converter. Grind the welds to remove the weights from the converter.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Big Block flex plate - 03/14/18 05:40 AM

I'm using one on a 400 with a mech. roller cam. I've seen 7,000 rpm and it is smoother than baby shyt. Changed trans. and to neutral balance converter in mine as well. You no longer need the weights on the converter. up
Posted By: GY3

Re: Big Block flex plate - 03/14/18 02:59 PM

I used the scalloped B&M on my last cast crank 440 with a neutral balance converter. Worked perfectly.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Big Block flex plate - 03/14/18 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
The scallop is there to compensate for the engine balance factor. In other words, the B&M flexplate allows you to use any neutral balance converter. Grind the welds to remove the weights from the converter.

iagree up
Posted By: barracudabob

Re: Big Block flex plate - 03/15/18 03:49 AM

Thanks for the info!
© 2024 Moparts Forums