Moparts

pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank

Posted By: mopar muscle7271

pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 06:17 AM

Im puttin a electric fuel pump in and i know goes by the gas tank.lookin for pics how you have yours set up and mounted underneath your mopars.its goin a in 71 dart with a 440.also using the mr.gasket fuel pump 95gph with the mallory fuel filter canister as well.
Posted By: srt

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 08:22 AM

I'm curious too. I had one in a b body mounted in the trunk by p.o., removed it. Bought a new pump and see it's supposed to be mounted lower than fuel level. I'd also like to know if it can be mounted sideways or upside down to get ground clearance. May get a different pump that can be mounted above fuel level.
I bookemarked this link that had good info, esp. the oil pressure switch <- Click
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 08:36 AM

I seem to remember pics in the tread the first time you asked. whistling

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post2434810
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 02:06 PM

Great memory, just short.

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 03:34 PM

That was legit...Don't be an ass and members will help you. tsk
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 04:23 PM

Use a rubber isolated p-clamp to mount the pump. Mount it as close to the tank as you can, as low as you can. Unless you have a fuel cell in the trunk you're not going to get the pump below the tank, but if you can get the bottom of the pump close to flush with the bottom of the tank you're doing good IMO.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By mopar muscle7271
Wasn't askin for any smartass remarks either.

If you think that's smartass, you've got a lot to learn. laugh2

Exactly how many times are you going to ask the same question?

If you haven't figured out how to mount the pump by now, you definitely need to have someone else install it.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/07/18 08:52 PM

Mine is similar but I mounted mine through the floor with a mouting plate under so it is not just going through sheet metal in case of a roller over. I wanted mine in the trunk so it was up out of the way from the wheelie bars and away from rubber debris from underneath.

Attached picture rsz_20160702_220108_002.jpg
Posted By: 68jim

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/08/18 01:28 AM

I mounted this Carter pump in the axle tunnel just forward of the gas tank. I made a plate and used a couple of existing bolt holes so nothing was modified on the body. I use this pump as my primer pump to fill the carbs before starting car. This is a 68 B body with a dana 60 - still plenty of room. The hose coming from the tank to the pump is maybe 12" long.
Good luck with the project.

Attached picture P7250936.jpg

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/09/18 05:29 AM

Anyone running the mr.gasket pumps or holleys?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/11/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By 68jim
I mounted this Carter pump in the axle tunnel just forward of the gas tank. I made a plate and used a couple of existing bolt holes so nothing was modified on the body. I use this pump as my primer pump to fill the carbs before starting car. This is a 68 B body with a dana 60 - still plenty of room. The hose coming from the tank to the pump is maybe 12" long.
Good luck with the project.

did the exact same thing with exact same pump. 69 B 8 3/4
Posted By: 383man

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/17/18 02:39 PM

I run the Holley black pump. Its mounted right in front of the gas tank as since I run a stock gas tank its really nowhere to mount it lower then the tank. So its bolted on the floor right in front of the gas tank near the sending unit. Its actually sitting level with the top of my stock tank.
It has worked fine mounted there for 12 years so far as I put the car on the road in 2006. And it feeds enough fuel to my 850 carb for my 63 to run 10's and not lay over in the traps. I have not been able to get any pics as my left knee is real bad and my other joints have been giving me so much trouble its tuff to lay under the car and get a pic. I am actually getting my left knee replace this Monday on March 19th. Ron
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/17/18 02:53 PM

I don't have a pic but before I went EFI I had a Holley Blue pump mounted in front of the spring mount on the passenger side. It worked well there for a very long time.
Posted By: smos001

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/17/18 10:40 PM

On my 70 challenger, I put my electric pump right in front of the fuel tank. I made a bracket to have it hang a bit lower. I also found a thick rubber exhaust hanger material that I used to put behind the fuel pump and the bracket to reduce the noise and vibration.
Works great.
S
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/18/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By 383man

I run the Holley black pump. Its mounted right in front of the gas tank as since I run a stock gas tank its really nowhere to mount it lower then the tank. So its bolted on the floor right in front of the gas tank near the sending unit. Its actually sitting level with the top of my stock tank.
It has worked fine mounted there for 12 years so far as I put the car on the road in 2006. And it feeds enough fuel to my 850 carb for my 63 to run 10's and not lay over in the traps. I have not been able to get any pics as my left knee is real bad and my other joints have been giving me so much trouble its tuff to lay under the car and get a pic. I am actually getting my left knee replace this Monday on March 19th. Ron

Ron, best of luck on your surgery. Knee replacement has come a long way in the past few years, so seems to get simpler all the time. Hope you're back up and running in short order. You're always a great help to us here with questions.
Posted By: 383man

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/19/18 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By peabodyracing
Originally Posted By 383man

Ron, best of luck on your surgery. Knee replacement has come a long way in the past few years, so seems to get simpler all the time. Hope you're back up and running in short order. You're always a great help to us here with questions.

Thank you as I go in tomorrow morning. Ron
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/19/18 05:54 PM

Here is a Holley Black pump mounted on a plate off of the shock cross member. This is an E body with a Dana.

Attached picture 20170729_113240.jpg

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/24/18 04:49 AM

Hope your surgery went well

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/24/18 05:07 AM

Thanks for the tips i wil probably do the same mount in front of the tank.im runnin the stock tank to.any advice/pics how you wire it up?
Posted By: jcc

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/24/18 04:46 PM

It will take only one muscle car with a rear mounted exposed electric fuel pump to be involved in a fender bender with a loaded school bus for all this electric fuel DIYI upgrades to go legally bye bye. Taking that into account, installing one of these might save you and your car also.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-cr92/overview/

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 03:10 AM

What a dumb reply,keep that bs to yourself.

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 03:14 AM

What a dumb reply,keep that bs to yourself.

Noted. thumbs
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By jcc
It will take only one muscle car with a rear mounted exposed electric fuel pump to be involved in a fender bender with a loaded school bus for all this electric fuel DIYI upgrades to go legally bye bye. Taking that into account, installing one of these might save you and your car also.

How about putting late model airbags in it and an aftermarket ABS kit too
realcrazy
Do you actually have an old car and if you do does it have all these politically correct additions?
Gus

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 04:28 AM

Are you retarded and cant read what my post says.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 01:41 PM

You have been warned before about being rude towards other members on the board. That being said...goodbye.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 05:44 PM

Are you retarded and cant read what my post says.

He wasn’t replying to you, or are you too retarded to read?

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
Originally Posted By jcc

How about putting late model airbags in it and an aftermarket ABS kit too
realcrazy
Do you actually have an old car and if you do does it have all these politically correct additions?
Gus

1. I don't see an applicable ABS listed on Summits website
2. If I did, I would not categorically dismiss the upgrade
3. I don't see an airbag upgrade on the Summit website
4. Me not having an airbag in my old muscle car will not cause a number of school kids to be burnt while a poorly installed aftermarket fuel pump gushes fuel in a fender bender with a school bus, disregarding what danger me or my car my suffer
5. Yes I have an old cars, and they are younger then me
6. I have installed the suggested linked fuel cut-off when using an electric fuel pump
7. I also installed seat/shoulder belts in my cars that came originally with none
8. Mentioning PC is just a low hanging fruit argument
Posted By: tboomer

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 06:13 PM

Ok fellas...Lets get back on track here. Thank you! wave
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 06:20 PM

JCC, I wasn`t aware of that safety device. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: BDW

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 06:25 PM

What exactly triggers that crash relay?
Posted By: Silver70

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/25/18 06:33 PM

Mines in the tank whistling

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/26/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By cnxt

I believe the summit device is basically a Ford crash inertial relay (an enclosed suspended steel ball on a magnetic contact?). On my son's 5.0 Mustang hatch back, slamming the rear hatch hard would activate it, it was OEM mounted inches from the latch. On my cars its mounted on the firewall, an intended kick will activate it while I am exiting, and if that kick is during So Fla carjacking, the car will go maybe a block and tun out of gas in the middle of the next intersection, at least that is the plan. laugh

I have never been in a wreck in my cars with it.
Posted By: BDW

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/26/18 03:31 AM

Ok, so how do you reset it?
It looks like something that might be worthwhile if it's not more pain than it's worth?
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 03/26/18 05:38 AM

Ok, so how do you reset it?
It looks like something that might be worthwhile if it's not more pain than it's worth?

Push the big red button. If you have to reset it, that's probably the least of your worries, it's pretty hard to trip unless it's mounted to something floppy.

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/25/18 11:03 PM

Im over the past its my first time putting in a electric fuel pump in on my 71 440 dart.cut me alittle slack here.i would like to wire off a toogle switch not from a oil pressure like it says.has anyone wired from a toogle switch?is a 20 amp toogle switch to much amps?
Posted By: moparx

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/26/18 03:26 PM

wire the pump through a relay, then use your toggle switch to complete the ground circuit of the relay.
beer

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/26/18 11:12 PM

Oh ok what kind of relay to get? Like a inline fuse type relay?
Posted By: Porter67

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/27/18 11:40 PM

Thats the first thing ya want to bypass if you street race hard or autocross or have no stop policy for the po po with a older 5.0 car, until I did mine would trip at the worst of times.

Use a rubber hammer and hit right under the drivers seat and you get a cool surprise too.

Originally Posted By jcc

I believe the summit device is basically a Ford crash inertial relay (an enclosed suspended steel ball on a magnetic contact?). On my son's 5.0 Mustang hatch back, slamming the rear hatch hard would activate it, it was OEM mounted inches from the latch. On my cars its mounted on the firewall, an intended kick will activate it while I am exiting, and if that kick is during So Fla carjacking, the car will go maybe a block and tun out of gas in the middle of the next intersection, at least that is the plan. laugh

I have never been in a wreck in my cars with it.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/27/18 11:42 PM

I forget the PN but its a basic std relay, I mounted mine in the trunk and run the short big lead to the pumps.

Same relays on my spal fans, I will look at the pn.
Posted By: moparx

Re: pics of electruc fuel set up underneath by the gas tank - 04/28/18 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird

I forget the PN but its a basic std relay, I mounted mine in the trunk and run the short big lead to the pumps.

Same relays on my spal fans, I will look at the pn.

i believe the call them an ISO relay. available at any parts store. has 4 or 5 pins. 30, 85, 86, and 87 [plus, on the 5 pin version, 87-A].
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums