Moparts

A - body Spring relocation and flex ???

Posted By: BowtieKillr

A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/05/18 01:15 PM

? , I got the car on jack stands ,level and the rear compartment supported.
I have removed the wheel tubes completly and cut the lip off the frame rails to provide that little bit of extra tire clearence. I went back and welded the rails back together where I removed the lip. I cut the rails at the front spring support and installed the leaf spring boxes and welded them in. I even beefed it up some where they go in. I installed new quarter skins before doing the rails and the quarters fit and turned out very nice and straight.
Now i can push down at the trunk jamb around the hinge area and I can see some flexing of the rear compartment. I can see the quarter skins flexing just a little at the tire opening. I cant move it much but there is some flexing that is noticed.
Roll bars are comming . I hope this is normal and the bars will make it more ridged.
Just wanting to know before continuing own.
Posted By: Doc Schwarz

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/05/18 02:11 PM

Do you still have the X brace under the rear window?

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/05/18 02:17 PM

No Doc I removed it years ago when I did the Small tire mini tubb. You think the roll cage that ties to the rear rails and a x brace would be good.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/05/18 08:19 PM

Are the sub frames tied together? Before doing any other mods to the car, that would have been the first I'd have done. I'd also re-add the x brace behind the back seat. The roll bar ties into the frame rails but not into the sheet metal, whereas the x brace does by supporting the package tray and all the sheet metal that ties into it.
Posted By: dvw

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/05/18 11:40 PM

Are the trunk hinges tied to the tubs?
Doug

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/06/18 12:32 PM

yes it has subframe connectors. Im Sure its just because I have everything out of it and theres not much supporting it .Ive got it all supported and level so ill weld in some bracing for the package tray and get the tubbs in and welded in and then the bars. I'm pretty sure it will be fine after that . Thanks

Re: A - body Spring relocation and flex ??? - 03/06/18 12:32 PM

Fixing to be !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums