Moparts

Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs?

Posted By: MrBelvedere2

Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 08:59 AM

I am about to swap my 2 barrel cast iron intake on my 361 for an Edelbrock DP4B and 600 cfm carb i scored. I got my gasket kit from napa and there is only a 1 peice valley tray? do you use sealer with this or do you just torque it down and it forms a crush seal? I have never done an intake swap on a BB before so excuse my ignorance. I also would like to know the pattern to tighten the bolts and torque spec's for the intake. so if you would be so kind to go over the procedure for me that would be awesome..thank you!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 09:09 AM

it seems that there's about 900 different ways to do this. my engine gasket kit came with 4 gaskets, and the book calls for 1 between the head and the valley tray, and another between the valley tray and the intake. to me, this seemed excessive, and what I did was used RTV to seal the valley pan to the head, and a paper gasket to seal the intake to the pan, with RTV to hold it in place on the intake until I got the bolts in and lined up.

...or was that paper between head and pan, and RTV between intake and pan?

crap. now I can't remember!

just make sure it's sealed well and has no leaks!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 02:38 PM

I always use just the tins.No paper.Only place for RTV is at the very corners of the heads and where the hold down are.Tighten to 25 Ft Lbs.I just start in the middle and switch from one side to the other going to a frt then a rear.Just snug them down then tighten all the way.Been doing it for over 40 years and never a leak.The papers IMHO are a total waste and some dummys answer to make simple complicated.Ma didnt use them and I dont.Oh I always use antisieze on the bolts.Rocky
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

I always use just the tins.No paper.Only place for RTV is at the very corners of the heads and where the hold down are.Tighten to 25 Ft Lbs.I just start in the middle and switch from one side to the other going to a frt then a rear.Just snug them down then tighten all the way.Been doing it for over 40 years and never a leak.The papers IMHO are a total waste and some dummys answer to make simple complicated.Ma didnt use them and I dont.Oh I always use antisieze on the bolts.Rocky

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 03:12 PM

My fav is #2 permatex(the thick brown goo in the toothpaste tube), it stays pliable, a light thin EVEN coat around the intake ports and the water ports on BOTH sides of the tin gasket & no paper gaskets which are available seperately for that tin gasket. 77 shop manual shows 45 ft lbs & I couldn't find the pattern anywhere even in the Senatore BB book. RTV will work just need the specific "color" that will resist gasoline and coolant on the intake ports & the coolant ports.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 03:37 PM

there's no coolant ports on a bigblock intake.

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 03:41 PM

yes! I stand corrected. I've been on SB's for quite awhile now
Posted By: landon1

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/04/09 09:04 PM

77 shop manual shows 45 ft lbs & I couldn't find the pattern anywhere even in the Senatore BB book.

Sequence is TOP ROW: 7, 3, 1, 5
BOT ROW: 8, 4, 2, 6

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/05/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

Sequence is TOP ROW: 7, 3, 1, 5
BOT ROW: 8, 4, 2, 6

thank you Landon1. I wrote it on the back page of Senatores book so I will know where it's at when I need it. EDIT I was thinking that the torque spec is 35 now that I think about it as 3/8" coarse thread(16 tpi)bolts are common for us & alot of them that size are listed at 35 ft lbs but yours & my 77 shop manual says 45 and my 1967 "glenns" says that BB intake manifold torque is 50 lbs which for sure is too much.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/05/09 09:57 PM

Now what about with an aluminum intake? I have a Weiand, and bought a FelPro valley pan which came with the (4) gaskets mentioned above. I use the Permatex goop for everything, I love it, is that enough with just the valley pan?

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/06/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

Now what about with an aluminum intake? I have a Weiand, and bought a FelPro valley pan which came with the (4) gaskets mentioned above. I use the Permatex goop for everything, I love it, is that enough with just the valley pan?

the torque spec is more about the amt necc to stretch the bolt(not too much not to little) to get the right amt of tension. I'd toss the paper gaskets, use your favorite goop(if RTV which I dont like for this) use a gasoline resistant color & 35 lbs in his pattern & you're good.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Mopar BB Intake manifold swap? torque specs? - 03/06/09 12:07 PM

All I run is aluminum intakes.Torque to 25 is more than enough.The spec in manual is for iron intake.Ive never run papers and no leaks in 40 plus years.Same with sealer.Its not needed just at the 4 corners and a little under where the hold downs go.If you need sealer something is warped.Ive even reused the tins.Back in the day they were like 30 bucks or more and that was in 1960s money.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums