Moparts

Smoking left bank

Posted By: Dave Hall

Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 08:12 AM

'64 300 with a 413 4bbl. completely stock. Oil smokes from the left exhaust and progressively gets worse with temp. I thought it might be hard valve seals from sitting. Any other idea's? Experiences?
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 08:44 AM

Valve seals are a good place to start,do a compression test as well as a leak down test too.The intake bathtub gasket could be letting oil get sucked into the ports if it is old and corroded or loose manifold bolts.The steel shim head gasket could be bad near the oil galley to the head allowing oil into a cylinder or two,the head bolts could be relieved of tension as well reducing clamping pressure.
RT

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 09:18 AM

Thanks! Yeah, it's old but runs sweet. Starts right up and gets quietly down the road. I've never heard of head bolts losing tension but if I'm taking the rockers off to replace the valve seals won't hurt to throw a tq wrench on them.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 10:00 AM

Valve seals for sure, do them first and see what it does. Intake gasket sure could do it. Pretty easy to change it second.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 07:54 PM

Make sure and remove the broken pieces of the old valve seals from the top of the motor, including as far as removing the intake and valley pan twocents scope
Years ago, back in the mid 1960s, I lost a oil pump on my 1957 Chrysler 300C due to the old OEM valve oil seals breaking apart in to small pieces from being brittle and part of one getting sucked up into the oil pump twisting the oil pump drive shaft off whiney I was in Utah visiting my Mother and Sister with my family in the middle of winter 800 miles from home so I had to pay a local shop to do the repairs shruggy They did a good job at a reasonable price but a break down is never fun, no matter where and when work
Preventive maintenance is way better than having to fix it after it is broken work grin
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 09:52 PM

I have to say the intake gasket (bathtub) or the valve seals...."maybe" the guides are likely causing your problem. You might be able to narrow it down by pulling the spark plugs on that side & looking for an oily one.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/24/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Thanks! Yeah, it's old but runs sweet. Starts right up and gets quietly down the road. I've never heard of head bolts losing tension but if I'm taking the rockers off to replace the valve seals won't hurt to throw a tq wrench on them.

With the rockers off a leak-down test is easy since all the valves are closed.

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/25/18 03:34 AM

Thanks for all of the above. It's a sweet, old 1964 300. I'll get into it and update what I find. Thanks again! up
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/25/18 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By PurpleBeeper
I have to say the intake gasket (bathtub) or the valve seals...."maybe" the guides are likely causing your problem. You might be able to narrow it down by pulling the spark plugs on that side & looking for an oily one.

This ^^^ and maybe try pulling one plug lead off at a time letting it run for a bit, the smoke will stop when you have the right lead off.

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/25/18 08:07 AM

Good call Ozy! I'll try that first thing!
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/25/18 04:35 PM

I had a '74 Powerwagon with a 360 that was doing the same thing. Ended up being rings stuck in the ring lands. It was easy to pinpoint because that cylinder would quickly oil foul the spark plug and the smoking would stop, though it would miss and only run on 7 cylinders.

Re: Smoking left bank - 02/25/18 08:57 PM

This thing is smooth and doesn't miss, I'll try pulling a plug wire on 1-7 and see if it's limited to one cylinder. It'll be next week some time as the car is two hours away from me.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 05:12 PM

I finally got to work on the car this weekend and replaced the rock hard valve stem seals. I put new plugs in it and checked the tune. The smoke has nearly disappeared and the car runs and drives as it should. I believe that this car has the original valve springs as they still have the red paint for exhaust and green paint for intake on them. I couldn't get any movement in the guides so the owner is super happy and I made a few bucks! Thanks to TorqueFlights by Wessels for the leak down tester and Paul's Empire Heads for the seals in a pinch!

Attached picture IMG_0394.JPG

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 05:16 PM

Wow! Sorry for the flipped pic...
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Wow! Sorry for the flipped pic...

Posting with an Apple product? I've no idea why that happens, it showed up fine on my computer (not the browser, that was upside down), something about the way Apple formats pictures? shruggy

Robert

Attached picture 64 Chrysler.JPG
Posted By: racerhog

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 06:08 PM

Looking at that picture.... Now we know why it smoked...lol
Rice ride... smile
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 06:11 PM

Car looks great and those wheels really set it off. up

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 06:42 PM

Thanks for the fix Robert! Yep, just easier for me to post pics that are already on my iPhone. This is the first time I've seen it go 180* though... It's kind of cool for an ugly old car! The front bumper needs attention and it's missing the rocker molding on both sides. If anyone has them or knows where to get them it would be much appreciated! The doors are really short for a two door. I'm used to those big, old 5 foot doors! It has power windows and some cool original features. It's a "Silver Edition"??? The vinyl top pattern is unique and very cool. Everything works!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 07:51 PM

Glad to hear you fixed it easily. Those wheels look great on that car. There has been a crew cab like your car for sale near me forever. I may have to snag it to put these style wheels on it now.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 07:58 PM

It's a nice ride with the split bench! We need the rocker moldings and the wheel lip moldings! Anyone???
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 08:03 PM

I really like that car and disagree with the ricer statement.
Nice to see the 413 wedge being used in it.
The wheels are nice, but remind me of the spindle mount front runners from the past.
Don't look right on the rear to me.
I'd want to see some super wide 5 slots of the same make & vintage.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 08:12 PM

I didn't see a ricer statement??? shruggy Yeah, I agree with the "Anson" on the back. It is just kind of a cruiser so... WAAAAY better than the 14" pinners that were on there.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 08:32 PM

Posted in jest by racerhog.
Quote "Looking at that picture.... Now we know why it smoked...lol
Rice ride..." smile

Agree on the 14 "ers.
I have a '68 New Port and have some 5 slot aluminum rims in 14" and can't find tires for them.

Again sweet ride.
My first was a 64 New Yorker.
LOVE the square steering wheel and push button trans. up

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 09:27 PM

It's funny that this one doesn't have the rectangle wheel? shruggy It does have horn rings top and bottom. It's a pushbutton.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 09:35 PM

Maybe specific to New Yorker or 64, possibly an option? shruggy
Does it have all of those courtesy handles?
Dash board, door jambs and the back of the front bench.
We used to call 'em "Watch This", handles. grin
Man you got me missing that thing now.

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 09:48 PM

Not sure on the panic bars. I rode in it for about 10mins. on a "check for smoke" trip... laugh I did notice some funkiness with the door locks though. Good thing we had the windows down!

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/08/18 10:38 PM

Now you mention it I remember Grand Ma had an 880 with odd locks.
Push the lever forward to lock on front doors and a small lever in the back.
Little sister almost flew out the door once.
Must have remembered being in the front and tried the handle.
Good thing Auntie was in back seat too.
Grabbed her A$$ before she flew out. blush
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/09/18 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
I really like that car and disagree with the ricer statement.

I think that was an auto correct from bice to rice

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/09/18 05:22 PM

That's not nice!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/09/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Make sure and remove the broken pieces of the old valve seals from the top of the motor, including as far as removing the intake and valley pan twocents scope
Years ago, back in the mid 1960s, I lost a oil pump on my 1957 Chrysler 300C due to the old OEM valve oil seals breaking apart in to small pieces from being brittle and part of one getting sucked up into the oil pump twisting the oil pump drive shaft off whiney I was in Utah visiting my Mother and Sister with my family in the middle of winter 800 miles from home so I had to pay a local shop to do the repairs shruggy They did a good job at a reasonable price but a break down is never fun, no matter where and when work
Preventive maintenance is way better than having to fix it after it is broken work grin

Had the same problem with this,went on a hunting trip in the late 60's to Alabama,1600 + mi round trip,on the way back,left go a mile from home.

Attached picture Picture 858.jpg

Re: Smoking left bank - 04/09/18 06:37 PM

All the seals were intact. They were like super hard plastic instead of pliable rubber. You could step on them and they would shatter into a million pieces.
© 2024 Moparts Forums