Moparts

Chrome polish suggestions

Posted By: BlueRacer69

Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 01:19 AM

I just got a new set of Cragar S/S's for my car. What are you guys using these days to protect and polish your chrome bumpers and mag wheels? Thanks.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 08:48 AM

Check out Wizard's products,they have a metal polish as well as a sealant.We use them at my shop on motorcycles.Don't use anything to aggressive like a wadding polish or Wenol type paste for aluminum on new chrome,it will scratch the surface. Basically use as mild of a polish on the new surface,even an automotive (non cleaning) wax would probably work well.
RT
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 01:25 PM

I have an old chrome air cleaner that I am using a few different products on. It's not in the best shape, so I'm trying 7 different methods. I have it taped into 8 sections so one is not being touched.

0000 Steel wool
Aluminum foil and coke
Nevr-Dull
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
SemiChrome
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish
Mother's Chrome Polish

Once I use the steel wool and Nevr-Dull I will apply a polish to it. That polish depends on which one looks better from the list above, then a coat of wax. Let it sit in the garage for a while and see how it looks over time. I would much rather experiment on the old piece vs new or stuff already on the car.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By MI_Custumz
I have an old chrome air cleaner that I am using a few different products on. It's not in the best shape, so I'm trying 7 different methods. I have it taped into 8 sections so one is not being touched.

0000 Steel wool
Aluminum foil and coke
Nevr-Dull
SemiChrome
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish
Mother's Chrome Polish

Once I use the steel wool and Nevr-Dull I will apply a polish to it. That polish depends on which one looks better from the list above, then a coat of wax. Let it sit in the garage for a while and see how it looks over time. I would much rather experiment on the old piece vs new or stuff already on the car.

For your air cleaner those products are fine. For new chrome I wouldn't use any of those.
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 04:19 PM

For removing rust from chrome aluminum foil and white vinegar works very well. It won't remove the pits but it removes rust and restores the shine pretty well. Used it on the horn ring for my '64 Polara and it came out almost perfect... except for the few small pits. The only solution for them is a complete re-chrome.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 04:31 PM

I like Turtle
Wax chrome polish Works great and has for years.Rocky
Posted By: moparx

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 05:29 PM

the bad news, especially for current production cragar ss wheels, is the garbage chrome. it will show rust almost from a heavy dew !. storage is bad as well. while i don't have an answer, i have only used wd-40 [or a similar product] and well used [washed of course biggrin] cloth baby diapers for cleaning and polishing. the diapers are very soft, so they will not damage the chrome. you may be able to substitute the diapers with a "high quality" microsoft cloth, but i do not know what brand of those to recommend.
beer
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By Centerline
For removing rust from chrome aluminum foil and white vinegar works very well. It won't remove the pits but it removes rust and restores the shine pretty well. Used it on the horn ring for my '64 Polara and it came out almost perfect... except for the few small pits. The only solution for them is a complete re-chrome.

Pardon my ignorance here, but I've NEVER heard of using vinegar & aluminum foil method. Just how do you use the foil in this process?
Posted By: BDW

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/23/18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By therocks
I like Turtle

Me too, pick it up cheap at Walmart and it works great.

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 03:52 AM

Thanks for all the good tips guys. I think I'll look into the Wizard's products line, never tried that before.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 03:56 AM

$...

Attached picture 81Iz07ZMXkL._SX450_.jpg
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By cnxt
I like Turtle

I agree. I learned this early on with bicycles; it will take rust off. Been using it for years. As far as new chrome, I bought some chrome cleaner from Mothers last year that seems to work well.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 06:15 AM

Mother’s
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By MI_Custumz

0000 Steel wool
Aluminum foil and coke
Nevr-Dull
SemiChrome
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish
Mother's Chrome Polish

For your air cleaner those products are fine. For new chrome I wouldn't use any of those.
What would you use? I am testing on the air cleaner to see what I want to use on the chrome on the car. The chrome on the car is not brand new either, but in better shape.

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 06:44 PM

I like the looks of that Mother's polishing kit. That mite work. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/24/18 10:37 PM

Personally, I have used Never-Dull on Cragar wheels in the past...
(these were the "old style" Cragars BTW)...and that product worked
great. I always used a broken in, good quality micro-fiber towel, to buff out the chrome after applying the Never-Dull and letting it haze up a bit.
Never scratched them, and turned out nice. twocents
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/25/18 12:37 AM

If were are talking brand new chrome, turtle wax chrome polish is a great inexpensive product, and I've always just followed up right after with a good paste wax. Keeps stuff looking new for years with a deep luster.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/25/18 06:29 AM

New chrome a real car paint wax. Not a cleaner wax. My chrome guy says Glass Wax
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Chrome polish suggestions - 02/26/18 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By cnxt
I like Turtle

Me three...been using it since the 60's.

Be aware that removing tarnish is removing oxidized metal. Metal polishes are abrasive to a slight degree, so take it easy and keep it protected with wax or your favorite variety of snake oil. In other words, don't polish the chrome unless it really needs it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums