Moparts

How to support car with K frame/suspension removed

Posted By: kbcuda

How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 06:21 PM

Going to swap engines and would like to pull it out from underneath. I have access to the US car tool dolly for the kframe engine and trans, but need something to support ths car and be able to move it around a little after getting everything out. Are there any other options to buy something similar to the body wheels us car tool sells? They are out of stock currently.And a little pricey for what they are.. Anyone want to sell/rent out/ or let me borrow theirs??

Attached picture Screenshot_20180222-110844.png
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 06:30 PM

if you located 4 wheels like those (shouldn't be too hard) maybe a welding shop could fab up some brackets for cheap.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 06:56 PM

I bought a couple big casters like those, bolted them up to two 2x4's stacked on top of each other, then drilled a hole on each end and bolted them onto the rear k-frame bolts. However my car being a 74 has an extra set of k-frame bolts more rearward and lower, roughly even with the firewall so it was easy. I imagine you will have to do a little extra cobbling but if you can find somewhere further back on the frame rails it should be doable.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 07:34 PM

I made mine out of 1/4" plate and two diameters of square tubing so I could adjust height. Bolted to the bumper bracket holes. Have been on there for a long time and allowed me to transport the vehicle around in a trailer. They have started to twist a little over time, which could have been solved by additional gussets.

The adjustable height is good for allowing you to work on the vehicle while installed. Then you can lower for transport.

I would recommend pneumatic tires as it will allow you to roll over cracks or bumps much easier. Mine are about 10" in diameter For example the ramp up into the trailer, a solid wheel would have been really difficult to use. The guy that did my convertible top had a gravel drive, which also would have been impossible to move solid wheels on.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 07:35 PM

I welded something together like the US car tool stuff that bolts the the holes for the bumper bracket up front, but I used larger/thicker steel I sourced from the metal scrap yard. Good quality HD casters are the expensive part.

On the rear of the car, the stands bolt to the holes for where the front leaf spring hanger would be. Note that the width of the holes is different between the top and bottom bolts.
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 09:47 PM

How soon are you needing to borrow them? I have a set front/back but they are on the Superbee currently.... When it's done I'd be more than happy to let you borrow them. They are the US car tool set.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By njmopar

I would recommend pneumatic tires as it will allow you to roll over cracks or bumps much easier. Mine are about 10" in diameter For example the ramp up into the trailer, a solid wheel would have been really difficult to use. The guy that did my convertible top had a gravel drive, which also would have been impossible to move solid wheels on.

I used the casters like in the pic, the casters with the phenolic tires and they are actually pretty good. I've moved mine around on concrete, gravel, trailers, etc. There's not much weight once the front clip is off. I can lift the front of the car up in the air by hand.
Posted By: kbcuda

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/22/18 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By 70HemiShaker
How soon are you needing to borrow them? I have a set front/back but they are on the Superbee currently.... When it's done I'd be more than happy to let you borrow them. They are the US car tool set.

Probably before next weekend....only would need the fronts..could someone provide the general size dimensions of the angle piece and the length of the vertical tube? I can drill the holes myself..
Posted By: Dr Dave

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/23/18 06:13 AM

I used 2 small furniture dollies from Harbor Freight with a few pieces of 4x4 or 6x6 under the front rails. Super cheap and worked great. I think they are rated at 600# as I recall, regardless they were plenty sturdy and the dolly wheels allows you to move your car sideways if you want.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/23/18 08:37 AM

I used the casters like in the pic, the casters with the phenolic tires and they are actually pretty good. I've moved mine around on concrete, gravel, trailers, etc. There's not much weight once the front clip is off. I can lift the front of the car up in the air by hand. [/quote]

My bud's used to refer to my Charger as the wheelbarrow when I would lift the front to move it!
Posted By: a12rag

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/24/18 12:00 AM

Here is what I built from some plate steel and 2" square tubing and castors . . . .

Attached picture cradle (1).jpg
Attached picture cradle (2).jpg
Attached picture cradle (3).jpg
Attached picture cradle (4).jpg
Posted By: a12rag

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/24/18 12:03 AM

This was made to bolt to the frame where the bumper brackets bolt . . . and be able to be turned 90 deg in order to raise the car. . . . in other position, roll it around . . . worked great for me. . . as you can see, it was made for 70 B body, not sure if measurements would be same for later B or E bodies . . .

No comments on the welds . . . was getting much better after I built that ! lol . . .

Attached picture cradle (5).jpg
Attached picture Engine installation.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20120821-00246.jpg
Posted By: MoJoe

Re: How to support car with K frame/suspension removed - 02/24/18 04:31 PM

That is a nice dual purpose set up there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums