Moparts

Gasoline Fumes

Posted By: bfury

Gasoline Fumes - 02/21/18 03:44 AM

My 76 Dart Sport has had the vapor canister removed. The lines leading to it were left open in the engine compartment. I plugged them. The car smells of fumes all the time it's driven. Other than finding a new cannister, has anyone come up with a solution?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/21/18 06:22 AM

maybe the plugged lines are causing pressure to build up and forcing fumes out of the tank.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/21/18 06:59 AM

You could use a 2 or 3 nipple valve cover breather and hook the 2 larger lines there. You need to figure out which line hooks the highest in the tank, not perfect but better than the pressure you are building now.
Posted By: feets

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/21/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By 4406bbl

You could use a 2 or 3 nipple valve cover breather and hook the 2 larger lines there. You need to figure out which line hooks the highest in the tank, not perfect but better than the pressure you are building now.

That only works if the other valve cover breather is connected to the engine air filter or carb.

If he has an open breather on the other side he will still get the fumes.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/22/18 07:07 AM

Did it smell before?Tailpipes cure many aromas inside the car!
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/22/18 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By feets
Originally Posted By 4406bbl

That only works if the other valve cover breather is connected to the engine air filter or carb.

If he has an open breather on the other side he will still get the fumes.

The 2 and 3 nipple breathers have a large nipple that must be hooked to the air cleaner, the other side must have a working pvc valve. You MUST make sure the tank line does not leach raw fuel into the motor, crankcase explosions, diluted oil can result.
Posted By: bfury

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/22/18 11:15 AM

I will have to check the breather. It has an Edelbrock mesh type air cleaner, no connection to the breather. I guess I will explore the idea of some kind of cannister or vapor separator. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/22/18 04:58 PM

I disconnected mine, plugged the lines back at the tank and changed to an aftermarket vented gas cap. With the stock cap, on cool days I was getting vacuum building up in the tank from no vent and the fuel pump drawing out of the tank and on warm days I would get pressure in the tank.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Gasoline Fumes - 02/24/18 03:32 PM

I did an air trap loop for my tank with the fuel filter at the end to keep dirt out. Maybe you could do the same thing.

I tried to post a picture I found online but I'm having trouble.

Attached picture boot-1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums