Moparts

BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK?

Posted By: Exit1965

BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 03:44 PM

The water pump on my 440 is leaking (it's what came with the 440 source aluminum housing about 10+ years ago) and I'm shopping for a new one.

I'd like to go with a local part so it would be easy to take back if something goes wrong. My choices around here are Autozone, NAPA, and O'Reilly. From the pic (one attached), it looks like the Autozone and Oreilly part are identical right down to the stampings.

Anyone have anything bad to say about the Autozone, or the NAPA pump?

Thanks.

Attached picture download.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 05:05 PM

I've had outstanding luck with parts house water pumps no matter what the brand (& heard of very few comebacks). You'll be fine.
Posted By: topside

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 06:31 PM

Honestly, I've had better performance from Autozone parts than NAPA lately; starter, throw-out bearing & clutch kit come to mind on my drivers...and they're usually less expensive. I did get a drum-brake spring kit from AZ though that had incorrect spring cups though. AZ's alternators, water pumps & ignition parts have all been fine.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 06:44 PM

I got a Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. Had the longest warranty for local places for a battery and they exchange no problems.
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 07:26 PM

I had a almost brand new (1 month old)'good' brand water pump self destruct on my 4.7 truck 2 years ago destroyed the radiator, shroud, AC condenser fan shroud/assembly. Fan blade, clutch and the waterpump pulley went bouncing and skipping across the highway never to be found. Kind of amazing it did not sever the transmission cooler or PS lines on its way out. Left a nice gouge on the frame rail.

OEM replacement water pump (NOT the value line stuff) "made in china"

Toss up between AZ and Advance, the advance one said 'assembled in USA, parts from china, mexico, italy and USA.

The AZ one looked almost identical but was "made in china" like the OEM one.

with a coupon I went with the advance one, fingers crossed its been ok for the last two years. As always like most parts anymore from the store give it a once over before the money changes hands.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/20/18 08:58 PM

Quote:
As always like most parts anymore from the store give it a once over before the money changes hands.
& I had no idea that it could have "made in USA" on the outside and maybe (likely) some of the innards are inferior stuff. what a mess!
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/21/18 12:32 AM

Just picked one up at autozone. Despite the description of being iron, in the box is an aluminum GMB 6 vane pump and gasket. Seems to be a well liked pump here so I think i'll be good.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: BB Autozone Duralast water pump OK? - 02/21/18 01:25 AM

Gmb seems to work fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums