Moparts

Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old?

Posted By: Mopar72Man

Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 05:31 AM

The chrome thumb rest part of my 70s Dodge pickup just spins and it causes issues with getting the key inserted, unless it's aligned just right.

I have ordered a new ignition tumbler but would like to keep the key I have now since it matches the door. Is it reasonable for me to be able to DIY that? Any other recommendations?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 05:38 AM

If the new tumbler is a true replacement, the segments--little brass cylinders of different lengths---can be swapped from your old lock to the new. It's the configuration of these that determine the shape of the key that will cause them to line up and allow the lock to rotate.

It's kinda tedious, but fun nonetheless. These segments look like pieces of cigarette lighter flint. Don't get them mixed up.

You'll figure it out. It's like solving a puzzle.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 05:52 AM

Or the pins can be arranged properly by a locksmith.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 07:05 AM

I'm assuming the old/new cyls are the same type with the chrome rectangular cover. Yes just swap the tapered pin tumblers/spacer pins/springs from each of the 5 holes into the same 5 holes in the new cyl & you're set (springs are the same tho). each holes' combo of pin/spacer height matches the depth of the corresponding notches in the key. Actually if you are ever missing some pieces on a swap like this you can easily get by with 2 or 3 or the holes empty as no one picks locks anymore (exc in the movies). wouldn't hurt to clean everything & lube it with some powered graphite (parts house or lock shop) but not critical & cleaning those small parts is a royal pain. EDIT the "tabs" on the chrome cover are stiff/easily broken, move them just enough to get the cover off.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 07:21 AM

You could always just dump the pins out of the new one and use your old key. Or any key or no key at all.
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 04:31 PM

For the money, just take your key and cylinder to a locksmith and have him sell you a new one keyed right. Every time ive done that, hes within 20 bucks of my cost for a part store cylinder thats not keyed right.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By Mopar72Man
The chrome thumb rest part of my 70s Dodge pickup just spins and it causes issues with getting the key inserted, unless it's aligned just right.

I have ordered a new ignition tumbler but would like to keep the key I have now since it matches the door. Is it reasonable for me to be able to DIY that? Any other recommendations?

I just went through this. I took my old key and new tumbler to a locksmith. Cost me 24.00
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 07:01 PM

It's easy to re-key the locks with the pins from your old cylinder. Not worth paying somebody $24 to do, in my opinion.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By bbtrux
have him sell you a new one keyed right.

Uh-huh...

Ain't worth the potential problem of a worn key and/or 'lock'...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/07/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G

Uh-huh...

OP asked if there is a DIY solution, to which he received info about exactly that. God forbid he learns something that will serve him now and in the future. What we described is exactly what a locksmith does.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/08/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted By RS23U1G

Uh-huh...

OP asked if there is a DIY solution, to which he received info about exactly that. God forbid he learns something that will serve him now and in the future. What we described is exactly what a locksmith does.

Remember gang, this is the internet, and proper internet troubleshooting protocol dictates one do the most time consuming, difficult, and expensive things first, then work backward from there.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Rekey New Ignition Tumbler to Match Old? - 02/08/18 06:22 PM

Quote:

Overheard somewhere on the left coast:

"Gosh darnit...

If Tom Brady can re-work a lock cylinder, so can I"...

© 2024 Moparts Forums