Moparts

62 300 master cylinder

Posted By: missile fan

62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 02:16 AM

I am looking for a new master cylinder

for a 1962 Chrysler 300 with manuel brakes

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 04:51 PM

I ain't up on restoration parts but you might Google it & try eBay & www.rockauto.com & www.classicauto.com & see if some good sources develop out of that effort. & maybe some of the brake restoration shops may have a lead for you.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 05:06 PM

according to my wagner master catalog, these "should" be the same from late '58 to '62. at the catalog printing, there was only a kit available, and it lists it at a 1 1/8" bore, but without a piston. this number was good for all the big chryslers and desotos of that era. this kit also fit power brake cars as well, [maybe the reason for not including a piston ?] but i think the difference would be in the retainer ring bore necessary to retain the manual brake pushrod, where as the power brake piston would not require this. you may be able to get a power brake master, then swap out your manual master cylinder piston ? shruggy just a thought, as i have no experience with this master.
beer
Posted By: therocks

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 07:50 PM

If not a show car just switch to dual master.Did my sons 62 300.Used a 70 C body master for drum drum.Rocky
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 08:51 PM

For a 1962 300 with power brakes it is the first year with the master bolted to e front of the booster. The piston is unique to this application. Different depth of the hole in the piston and no retaining ring machined inside for a pushrods retainer.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
For a 1962 300 with power brakes it is the first year with the master bolted to e front of the booster. The piston is unique to this application. Different depth of the hole in the piston and no retaining ring machined inside for a pushrods retainer.

for a 1962 Chrysler 300 with manual brakes
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/04/18 09:48 PM

I read that manual brake in your first post. A person suggested one for power brakes, that's why I posted what I know about it after the suggestion that won't work.

Posted By: 340clone

Re: 62 300 master cylinder - 02/07/18 04:12 AM

If you are not concerned with originality, there is an old master cylinder hack for these cars.

IIRC, the dual pot M/C from a '68 Dart (manual brakes) can be used in place of the original, and plumbed in with couplers to front and rear lines. If done correctly, this will give the added safety of separating front from rear brakes in case either should fail. Double check piston size, etc. but should be enough for the 12 inch brakes the 300 has, if they are original.

You should also be able to incorporate factory power brakes as well, as donor booster set ups can be found on most any full size 62-64 Mopar full size. You can still use the '68 M/C with these.
© 2024 Moparts Forums