Moparts

Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud

Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 03:47 PM

What is the best way to separate the lower ball joint from the control arm without damaging the rubber seal? I don't want to use a pickle type separator. Everything is clean and painted and detailed and I don't want to scratch anything up. I need to get this separated so I can change the lower control arm bushings. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 03:59 PM

You can buy a tool to separate the joint without hurting it from harbor freight.
hope this link works
How to Remove a Ball Joint Safely - Harbor Freight Ball Joint ...
Video for ball joint toolâ–¶ 6:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcCfWmrVQfM

Gus beer
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 04:39 PM

HF tool is great. Load it up and some light hammer taps.
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 06:35 PM

I've backed off the bj nut a couple of turns then used two ball peen hammers, one held with the ball end against the spindle and the other whacking the first, with the arm hanging down and the bar not backed off so the spring load helps to pop it loose. Trade places on the spindle while whacking with the hammers. I have used the pullers too which are awesome but sometimes you can't fit them in.
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 06:58 PM

I have also unbolted the balljoint from the spindle, then you can remove the control arm with the balljoint still attached. Just an alternative.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 07:57 PM

Hammers always wok for me.Even at the shop i used them and did probally thousands.Just leave the nut on a few threads.Only had to use my fork a few times in 40 years.Rocky
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 10:34 PM

I usually Use an air hammer with a flat faced hammer bit on the side of the eye the ball joint taper goes through. It seems to work as well as the ball peen hammers mentioned above and gets into tight places where swinging a hammer is difficult.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/03/18 11:26 PM

iagree Air hammer works the best and easier to aim.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 12:31 AM

Everything is clean and painted and detailed and I don't want to scratch anything up.

Gotta love Moparts answers.

Beat on it with a hammer.

No, beat on it with an AIR hammer.

let's put a steam roller on it.

Maybe some C4.

How about we just torch it and call it a day.
Posted By: FJR doc

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 02:05 AM

I've had great success with the Harbor Freight ball joint separator on my Mopar and AMC front suspension work. I highly recommend it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle.html?CatPath=All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FAutomotive%2B%2526%2BMotorcycle%2F%2F%2F%2FSuspension&RequestData=CA_CategoryExpand
Posted By: therocks

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 03:58 AM

Well using a hammer was done for decades and still is.Not everyone has a show car and worried about hitting a arm with a hammer or air hammer.Rocky
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 04:38 AM

I don't know of a cleaner method to separate a tapered stud than the 2-hammer method. Use a heavy hammer to brace the back side of the housing and the largest hammer you can to smack the opposite side.

Using a light hammer needlessly beats things up.

The special tool usually requires a hammer blow, also.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 04:30 PM

and just SOMETIMES, you WILL damage the paint because there is NO WAY to prevent that from happening when disassembling certain components no matter HOW CAREFUL you try to be. it's the nature of the beast [as some would say].
beer
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/04/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
and just SOMETIMES, you WILL damage the paint because there is NO WAY to prevent that from happening when disassembling certain components no matter HOW CAREFUL you try to be. it's the nature of the beast [as some would say].
beer

As the Doc said

I have also unbolted the balljoint from the spindle, then you can remove the control arm with the balljoint still attached. Just an alternative.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/05/18 08:02 AM

I'd probably have to repaint the lower control arm after I replaced the bushings anyway. Use the hammer, replace the bushings, and repaint before assembly, as required.

Unbolting the spindles will require removing the brake drum or the caliper and rotors, which may all be painted as well. At the very least you will be repainting the spindle bolts and nuts. More stuff to scratch up.

All this fancy paint is a pain in the azz, my suspension stuff that would get painted would have been painted with a spray bomb, its pretty easy to touch up. Gene
Posted By: cruzin

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/05/18 09:03 PM

Perhaps you can find something here that may help.

http://www.manciniracing.com/frsuto.html
Posted By: ahy

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/06/18 03:02 AM

I like and use the Mancini front end tool for this joint. I got the kit. And yes... when everything is in place and tensioned up a carefully placed hammer blow helps break it loose. Just leave the nut on loose to catch it when it goes.
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/06/18 04:41 AM

I use two 2lb sledge hammers hold one against one side control arm and smack the other side with the second hammer after you loosen the nut.. usually pops right loose and doesn't damage the boot..
Posted By: 11secaarcuda

Re: Separating lower control arm from ball joint stud - 02/06/18 01:02 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll get either the Harbor Freight tool, or the tools from Mancini
© 2024 Moparts Forums