Moparts

Poverty cap question

Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Poverty cap question - 01/25/18 10:37 PM

Can anyone tell me the “red” color on a poverty cap. Where can I get some to repaint the rings on my caps? The black looks great but the “red” not so much
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 04:14 AM

70's Dodge caps? Not sure on an exact color code but R4 red might be close.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 04:37 AM

It's red that leans a little towards orange in the sun. I used Mazda flame red to paint mine. Later on I switched the red paint for red vinyl. These caps started in 1969 so whatever red they used should be one of those colors?

After I buffed my hubcaps out I had a lousy time getting the paint to stick + clean and crisp lines masking by hand is rather difficult. I ended up drawing up a pattern of the shapes in AutoCAD and had a sign shop cut them out of vinyl.

The red on the cap is this photo is painted the Nissan color. I have since removed the paint and went to a generic red sign vinyl. All the satin black is vinyl and applied like a sticker.

Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 06:02 AM

Thanks, that is exactly what mine look like except yours are nice. I never even considered vinyl, although I had considered just using a red paint marker.

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 06:57 AM

I still have the cad file if you want to switch and try the vinyl. It's not oem correct like paint, but they do look nice. Just need a local sign shop to cut it out.

If you do want to paint the red on use electrical tape to mask with. It will go in a circle waaayyy better than any paper based tape could dream of. Take your time and you can make perfect circles with it.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 10:14 AM

I had copper paint masks made off our tooling that we painted the redline on our reproduction caps with. It's two pieces, one covers the center fratzog and the other covers the rest of the cap not getting paint. Without it, it's a real PITA to mask and shoot. I can offer our services for $20, I will paint all x4 caps for you if you supply the paint you want them painted with.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/26/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports
Can anyone tell me the “red” color on a poverty cap. Where can I get some to repaint the rings on my caps? The black looks great but the “red” not so much
I've not used this myself but was once told that Testors Italian Red was a very close match for the red on 69 dog dish caps. I think its model car paint. Maybe look for it at a hobby shop that sells model cars. I think Walmart carries it too.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By BlueRacer69
Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports
I've not used this myself but was once told that Testors Italian Red was a very close match for the red on 69 dog dish caps. I think its model car paint. Maybe look for it at a hobby shop that sells model cars. I think Walmart carries it too.

I used the Testors Italian Red.
Posted By: srt

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 06:38 PM

A great way to paint the stripe is to accurately center a cap on a record turn table and turn it on the lowest setting, apply paint with a flat paint brush. Clean the metal well with acetone.
Another way is to use masking frisket when it's on the turntable, mask and shoot.
The fratzog can be laid out from an image captured from the internet (scaled using paint program in windows) and laid out with frisket or striping tape.
Posted By: topside

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 06:59 PM

For $20, Hemicuda's offer is as close to free as it gets!
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By topside

You ain't kidding. Gotta love Moparts.

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 08:16 PM

The original paint on these caps seems very thin. If you paint them with straight enamel without reducing it down it comes out too heavy and leaves pronounced edges. Thin it out too much and it'll run right off as the polished stainless does not off much in the way of adhesion. I tried paint and got irritated with the whole thing and went to vinyl as the lines are perfectly straight.

I have given my digital file out to maybe 6-7 peeps on here for free. The Dodge triangle is copyrighted, and that would make it illegal for me to make money off it without their permission.
Posted By: topside

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/27/18 11:55 PM

Sure didn't mean to slight Neil, he's also what this deal is all about: helping each other! Good on ya!
BTW, nobody needs to know if a recipient wants to mail him beer money...

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/28/18 03:06 AM

No offense taken. wave

Vinyl is just an alternative to painting them. Some will want original and that means finding a way to paint them. I tried that and could not get them to look as nice as the factory did. Having worked in a sign shop in the past I tried the vinyl out of curiosity. I put lots of time into the patterns without really knowing how it might come out.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/30/18 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By topside

That made me chuckle.

Free still isn't good enough for most Mopar guys. Mike would have to pay the shipping both ways, too.

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/30/18 04:49 PM

$20 is a steal for someone with a template who can get it right the first time. Try painting one sometime and see what I mean.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/31/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By Neil
$20 is a steal for someone with a template who can get it right the first time. Try painting one sometime and see what I mean.

No thanks. Trying to paint one isn't worth the brain damage and expense. All the more reason to send them to Mike.

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/31/18 02:36 AM

Also if you paint your own with nice paint and not rattle can stuff that will chalk-out in the sun expect to drop $40+ for each pint of ppg red and black enamel/urethane.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/31/18 06:30 PM

Wow, 20 is cheap!

Mike, do you have that same setup for the "PLYMOUTH MOTOR DIVISION" caps?

Neil, do you have vinyl pieces for the black areas around the edge?

Re: Poverty cap question - 01/31/18 08:38 PM

No spare black pieces. I'm actually short as I have a 5th cap that needs a few, but just haven't gone and had more cut. Find a local sign company who is willing to cut them for you and I can send you digital file.

I don't have the inside letters for the Plymouth caps + I don't have a Plymouth cap to digitize from.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Poverty cap question - 02/03/18 03:15 AM

Wow, I might send a set over myself for that price. Mike is good guy to deal with, so you know your getting more than the $20 worth of work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums