Moparts

Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump?

Posted By: feets

Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/18/18 07:44 PM

I was looking at going to a serpentine belt drive on the Imp but the 440 source water pump I got has a spiral vane impeller. That's a bit inefficient when the pump spins backwards.

Since the WP housing, cylinder heads, intake, and accessory brackets will be aluminum I thought I'd stick with an aluminum pump, too.

I had a Milodon years ago but it leaked from day one.

Any good leads for pumps that aren't needlessly expensive?
Posted By: furious70

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/18/18 08:20 PM

pretty sure you were on the thread here that pointed to this thread back then

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=60599.175

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/18/18 09:48 PM

I remember that thread well. However, much time has elapsed and manufacturers enter and leave the game.

The pump flow was not the concern. I'm looking for an aluminum body and a straight vane impeller.

The spirally vane I have works fine until you spin it backwards. That's when it gets a bit sketchy.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/18/18 10:05 PM

This is the one I use, never any issues but expensive as all MP parts are... eyes
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/18/18 10:25 PM

flowkooler. milodon is the brand we recommend in our kits. also summit racing makes or at least sells a generic version of the milodon hv unit with the anti cavitation plate that you need.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/19/18 06:38 AM

that is an interesting thread. I would get an 8 blader & weld on the anticav plate with a 1.33 or more overdriven pulley & call it good. not sure what brand but after reading the thread I think a person could make an informed decision (just me I've had good luck with parts house rebuilts). & the rest of the cooling items correct, fan/shroud/spacer/radiator/stat/timing/mixture.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/19/18 07:39 AM

This is the same pump Milodon uses, https://www.amazon.com/GMB-120-1200-Replacement-Water-Gasket/dp/B000P4WWXO just doesn't have the plate. Buy this pump and the plate and have the same setup for less then half the price. My dad runs this setup with his Reverse rotation serp. setup with no problems.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/19/18 01:41 PM

Yeah the gmb or whatever it's called is What flowkooler attaches their plate to. They are made in Japan from what I remember. I've had both and was a little disappointed when I tried the gmb and realized that.

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/22/18 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By Azzkikrcuda
This is the same pump Milodon uses, https://www.amazon.com/GMB-120-1200-Replacement-Water-Gasket/dp/B000P4WWXO just doesn't have the plate. Buy this pump and the plate and have the same setup for less then half the price. My dad runs this setup with his Reverse rotation serp. setup with no problems.

Thanks for the info.

That is the aluminum housing, correct?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/22/18 06:36 PM

I have the MP unit on my 440.Been there for close to 20 years.No problems and cools great.Rocky

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/23/18 02:22 AM

we also make an overdrive water pump pulley for those guys with cooling problems.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/23/18 04:06 AM

Dude, you have an entire machine shop.
Posted By: BlueRacer69

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/23/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By Jerry
we also make an overdrive water pump pulley for those guys with cooling problems.
Where can I find one of these overdrive water pump pulleys that you mention? Thanks.

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/23/18 07:03 AM

send me a PM or come pick one up at the shop in troy Mi.

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/25/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By Θάνατος
Dude, you have an entire machine shop.

Sadly, I have to balance life, job, and a disturbingly long list of projects. I'm only one man with very limited time.

Besides that, I have a full ground-up roadster build I need to get going.
Posted By: Von

Re: Who makes a good aluminum straight vane B/RB water pump? - 01/25/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By Jerry

Link to the pulley?
© 2024 Moparts Forums